This Taxi news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about taxi and taxis news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Uber: taxi refusals make man feel 'second-class citizen'
Dan Williams says he and guide dog Zodiac have been refused taxi
rides more than 100 times.
BBC News. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
- No fare! With pandemic, NYC taxi drivers' livelihoods hang in the balance
Since the taxi
medallion bubble burst in 2015, New York City cab drivers have been drowning in debt; now, the pandemic may mark the end of an industry and an urban icon
CBS News. Sunday, 5 Jul 2020.
- No fare! NYC cabbies face uncertain future
For many yellow cab drivers, owning a New York City taxi
medallion was seen as a road to success, as the value of the special license rose dramatically. ...
CBS News. Sunday, 5 Jul 2020.
- Motorbike taxi rider sets himself on fire 'over bribe'
The motorcycle taxi
rider's bike had been seized for carrying passengers against coronavirus restrictions.
BBC News. Friday, 3 Jul 2020.
- Getting Value Out Of Zoox
Last week e-commerce giant and connoisseur of applied robotics, Amazon, announced it was acquiring Zoox, the 1000 person robotaxi company that sought not just to deploy L4 vehicles but to fundamentally re-imagine the car.
Forbes. Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020.
- Bank staff accused of 'interrogating' elderly customers
In one case, a grandmother was denied entry to her local Halifax branch after taking a taxi
to deposit a large amount of cash she felt unsafe keeping at home.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 24 Jun 2020.
- Taxi driver woke up after battling coronavirus only to discover his mother died of the killer virus
Mohammed Azeem, 35, woke up from a coma at Bradford Royal Infirmary after suffering from coronavirus on April 14 only to learn of the 'devastating' news his mother had passed away.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 23 Jun 2020.
- Woman in Ireland hacked to death with samurai sword, meat cleaver; husband arrested: reports
driver in Ireland has been arrested on charges of hacking his wife to death with a samurai sword and a meat cleaver, according to reports.
Fox News. Monday, 22 Jun 2020.
- Chicago launches cab PPE program to help drivers safely operate during COVID-19 pandemic
Chicago is launching a program to help taxi
drivers get personal protective equipment.
ABC News. Friday, 19 Jun 2020.
- After Russian Taxi Driver Is Fired For Refusing Black Customer, Right-Wing Backlash Fuels A National Debate
After a driver for Russia's Yandex Taxi
service refused a ride to a black man, praise for the company's decision to fire the employee was matched by a chorus of complaints.
Radio Liberty. Friday, 12 Jun 2020.
- Flying Taxis Set to Become Reality: 3 Stocks to Watch Out
The world of personal and public transportation is undergoing massive change and flying taxis
could become the next big thing.
Zacks. Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020.
- Top Tesla investor bets flying taxis are the future, taking a stake in German start-up Lilium
Lilium has secured a valuation of more than $1 billion after raising fresh funds, giving the German aerospace start-up "unicorn" status.
CNBC. Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020.
- Upmarket taxi service Wheely risks Moscow ban in dispute over geolocation data
London-based luxury taxi
service Wheely risks being banned in Moscow after it said it refuses to share vehicle geolocation data with the authorities, citing passenger privacy rights.
Reuters. Monday, 1 Jun 2020.
- SoftBank-backed Ola lays off 1,400 employees as coronavirus crisis hammers ride-hailing apps
Ola said its revenues plunged 95% in the past two months as shelter-in-place measures dried up demand for its taxi
CNBC. Wednesday, 20 May 2020.
- Nvidia turns to driver-assistance market as robo-taxis stall
Nvidia Corp, whose semiconductors power data centers, autonomous cars and robots, said on Thursday it plans to enter the market for technology that helps cars with automated lane-keeping, cruise control and other driver-assistance features.
Reuters. Thursday, 14 May 2020.
Taxi Services News Headlines and News Summaries