This Tax Return news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about tax returns from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- IRS backlog of tax returns is growing ahead of filing deadline
Almost 31 million returns are being held for manual review, delaying refunds. "I depend on that money," one taxpayer says.
CBS News. Sunday, 9 May 2021.
- 'We Build the Wall' founder, linked to Steve Bannon, indicted on new fraud and tax charges
Brian Kolfage, founder of an allegedly fraudulent donor campaign to build a border wall, now faces additional counts, of fraud and filing a false tax return.
CNBC. Friday, 7 May 2021.
- IRS is holding millions of tax returns, delaying refunds
People usually get their refunds within three weeks, but this year is proving complicated for nearly 30 million filers.
CBS News. Friday, 7 May 2021.
- Administration lawyers ask for more time to decide whether Treasury will hand over Trump tax returns
The Biden administration is seeking more time to respond to a holdover House Democratic lawsuit seeking Donald Trump's tax return
Daily Mail. Saturday, 1 May 2021.
- How Do You Claim Your Stimulus Check? File Your Tax Return
Thursday: In addition to three federal stimulus payments, some Californians also qualify for the Golden State Stimulus.
New York Times. Thursday, 29 Apr 2021.
- Half a million homeowners got current on their mortgage in March
As the economy improved, tax returns
came in and homeowners received stimulus payments, the mortgage delinquency rate dropped, according to Black Knight.
Inman. Thursday, 22 Apr 2021.
- Washington DC pastor charged in $1.5M PPP loan fraud
Rudolph Brooks, Jr., 45, was arrested earlier this month in Washington DC after allegedly faking tax returns
and payroll forms to apply for the loan under the federal government's CARES act.
Daily Mail. Monday, 19 Apr 2021.
- Tucson business co-owner could get prison term in tax case
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - A Tucson business co-owner who has already paid nearly $1.1 million in restitution to the federal government could be sentenced to up to a year in prison after pleading guilty to filing a false income tax return. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 16 Apr 2021.
- Ex-state senator enters innocent plea on federal tax charges
CHICAGO (AP) - A former Illinois state senator pleaded not guilty Tuesday to federal charges of lying on personal income tax reports and failing to file tax returns
for her lobbying and consulting firm. ...
Washington Times. Tuesday, 6 Apr 2021.
- Got coronavirus stimulus check, you may now get supplemental or plus-up payment
The IRS started sending out the third round of stimulus checks in March. So far, millions of people have received their stimulus checks, but many got a payment less than what they were eligible for on the basis of their 2020 tax return. ...
Entrepreneur. Tuesday, 6 Apr 2021.
- More than 2 million Californians may be leaving stimulus money on the table. Here's how to get it
The California Policy Lab says a stimulus gap may be between 2.2 million Californians and payments that are owed to them. Up to $5.7 billion may be unclaimed. To get your share, you probably need to file a tax return.
Los Angeles Times. Tuesday, 6 Apr 2021.
- I.R.S. will begin issuing tax refunds in May for unemployment tax break.
Some Americans who received unemployment benefits last year may have filed their federal tax returns
before a new tax break became available.
New York Times. Wednesday, 31 Mar 2021.
- 3 million more businesses claimed this Trump tax break last year
More than 21 million tax returns
claimed a 20% pass-through deduction on business income during the 2020 filing season, according to IRS data.
CNBC. Wednesday, 31 Mar 2021.
- IRS commissioner says he hopes to clear tax refund backlog by summer
IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig on Thursday said Americans whose tax returns
are caught in a pandemic-caused processing backlog should get refunds in coming months.
ABC News. Thursday, 18 Mar 2021.
- Income Tax Due Date Goes To May 17
The Treasury and Internal Revenue Service have announced that the due date for individual tax returns
has been moved from April 15, 2021 to May 17, 2021.
Forbes. Wednesday, 17 Mar 2021.
News Headlines and News Summaries