This Surveillance news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about surveillance news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Coronavirus: How China's using surveillance to tackle outbreak
China is using its high tech system to tackle the outbreak, but is the state interference justified?
BBC News. Wednesday, 1 Apr 2020.
- Baltimore board OKs surveillance planes amid opposition
BALTIMORE (AP) - A Baltimore board on Wednesday approved a six-month pilot program which will allow surveillance
planes to patrol the city, a decision that drew opposition from civil liberties groups. ...
Washington Times. Wednesday, 1 Apr 2020.
- Hungary's Orban, Serbia's Vucic seize greater authority amid coronavirus lockdowns
In ex-communist Eastern Europe and elsewhere, populist leaders are introducing harsh measures including uncontrolled cellphone surveillance
of their citizens and lengthy jail sentences for those who flout lockdown decrees.
CBC News. Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020.
- Use of surveillance to fight coronavirus raises concerns about government power after pandemic ends
As countries race to fight the coronavirus outbreak, many are boosting the surveillance
of citizens in a move that's raising privacy concerns.
CNBC. Monday, 30 Mar 2020.
- Snowden warns government surveillance amid COVID-19 could be long lasting - CNET
Governments could look for reasons to continue tracking people's activity, he says.
CNET. Thursday, 26 Mar 2020.
- Coronavirus location data could pave the way for greater public surveillance
An increased use of phone location data by local authorities to track the spread of COVID-19 or observe social distancing could lead to greater public surveillance
after the pandemic.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020.
- Coronavirus: Under surveillance and confined at home in Taiwan
Milo was woken by officers after his phone ran out of power overnight, meaning he could not be tracked.
BBC News. Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020.
- Home surveillance video captures dog sensing 5.7 magnitude earthquake moments before it struck Utah
In Murray, Utah, one family dog named Bear appeared to wake up just before the 5.7 magnitude earthquake shook his home. Home surveillance
footage shows the dog sit up one minute before the quake.
Daily Mail. Monday, 23 Mar 2020.
- Senate votes to renew surveillance powers, delaying changes
WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. ...
Washington Times. Monday, 16 Mar 2020.
- Senate Passes Extension of Key FBI Surveillance Powers
The Senate on Monday passed a 77-day extension of key surveillance
powers the FBI uses in national security investigations, reports The Hill.The move comes after the Senate last Thursday failed to vote to renew the surveillance
Newsmax. Monday, 16 Mar 2020.
- How National Security Surveillance Nabs More Than Spies
Last August, federal authorities notified a think tank fellow and ex-State Department employee that they intended to use evidence from a FISA warrant in his mortgage fraud case.
Voice of America. Sunday, 15 Mar 2020.
- FISA Abuses May Be Growing as High Surveillance Used to Detect Routine Crimes
The case against Nassif Sami Daher and Kamel Mohammad Rammal, two Michigan men accused of food stamp fraud, hardly seemed exceptional. ...
Newsmax. Sunday, 15 Mar 2020.
- Trump Threatens to Veto House-passed Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Reforms
President wants answers to questions about how FBI's investigation of alleged ties between his 2016 presidential campaign and Russia was launched.
Voice of America. Thursday, 12 Mar 2020.
- FBI Surveillance Measures Appear Likely To Expire With GOP Opposition
A failure of sufficient support from President Trump and his allies in the Senate may mean that surveillance
tools called essential by the Justice Department could expire this weekend.
NPR. Thursday, 12 Mar 2020.
- House reauthorizes surveillance law after striking deal
The House voted to reauthorize the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance
Act days before it was set to expire.
CBS News. Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020.
Surveillance News Headlines and News Summaries