This Speech and Hearing news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about speech and hearing news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- 1 Dead, 1 Wounded in Denton Shooting
One person is dead and a second was wounded in a shooting Saturday night in Denton, police say. Officers responded about 9:24 p.m. to the 100 block of Duchess Drive after multiple people called 911 to report hearing
NBC. Sunday, Oct 25 2020.
- Adriana Cohen: Censorship of conservatives proves Twitter & Facebook are enemies of free speech, free press
Scores of conservatives, including myself, are being shadow-banned on Twitter, something I testified about in 2018 before Congress alongside other leading conservative voices being wrongfully censored.
Fox News. Sunday, 25 Oct 2020.
- Biden calls Trump supporters 'chumps' at Pennsylvania rally
Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden referred to some of his opponents as "chumps" on Saturday while giving a campaign speech
in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The Trump campaign likened Mr. ...
Washington Times. Saturday, 24 Oct 2020.
- Trump campaign files lawsuit requesting Nevada court to block election officials from counting early votes
A Carson City judge denied the request for a temporary restraining order to stop ballot-counting but scheduled an evidentiary hearing
for next week.
Yahoo. Saturday, 24 Oct 2020.
- Lisa Murkowski says she will vote to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court
The Republican senator has previously criticized Barrett's Supreme Court nomination due to the proximity to the 2020 presidential election, but announced her support during a speech
on the Senate floor on Saturday.
CNBC. Saturday, 24 Oct 2020.
- Trump claims only immigrants with 'the lowest IQ' turned up to court under catch and release
President Donald Trump has claimed that less than 1 percent of undocumented immigrants turned up to mandatory court hearings under Obama's catch-and-release-policy.
Daily Mail. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- 12-year-old Texas rapper accused of shooting 1-year-old baby cut off ankle monitor to attend funeral
The boy cried and unsuccessfully pleaded for Judge Alex Kim to free him during a Tarrant County Family Court hearing
held in September over Zoom. The boy allegedly shot the baby in April, at age 11.
Daily Mail. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- Hitler Speeches Sell In German Auction Despite Concerns It Could Encourage Neo-Nazis
The highest-priced item sold for $40,300.
Forbes. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- Fact check: Obama administration approved, built temporary holding enclosures at southern border
A meme about a recent speech
is true. The facilities were built during the Obama era -- and were intended to hold migrant children for up to 72 hours.
Yahoo. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- Kilmarnock to face SPFL hearing over alleged Covid breach
Kilmarnock could forfeit their postponed Scottish Premiership game against Motherwell after the SPFL charge the Rugby Park club with allegedly breaching Covid-19 protocol.
BBC News. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- Hitler speeches sell at Munich auction despite objections
BERLIN (AP) - Handwritten speech
notes by Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler sold at auction in Munich on Friday despite concerns from Jewish groups they could encourage neo-Nazis. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- The AI that spots Alzheimer's from cookie drawing
The machine learning system analysed speech
patterns to predict who would develop the disease.
BBC News. Thursday, 22 Oct 2020.
- New tool can diagnose strokes with a smartphone
A new tool could diagnose a stroke based on abnormalities in a patient's speech
ability and facial muscular movements, and with the accuracy of an emergency room physician -- all within minutes from an interaction with a smartphone.
Science Daily. Thursday, 22 Oct 2020.
- Facebook touts free speech. In Vietnam, it's aiding in censorship
To protect its business in an important market, Facebook increasingly removes content that Vietnam's authoritarian government doesn't like.
Los Angeles Times. Thursday, 22 Oct 2020.
- ICE moves to quickly deport more immigrants without court hearings
The Trump administration has instructed deportation agents to expand a policy that had long been limited to border areas.
CBS News. Wednesday, 21 Oct 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries