This Social Security news page includes headlines, articles, and citations about social security news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Arizona man accused of burying his dead mom in his backyard
An Arizona man has been arrested for allegedly burying his dead mother in his backyard to continue receiving her Social Security checks and Veterans Affairs benefits
ABC News. Thursday, 23 May 2019.
- Top Baby Names in Texas in 2018: Liam and Emma
Earlier this month, the Social Security Administration released the most popular baby names in the U.S. but now the government agency is breaking it down by state. Photo Credit: Getty Images.
NBC. Thursday, 23 May 2019.
- In Some States 15% of the Population Collects Social Security
Baby boomers are retiring and calling in their chips. The Social Security Administration paid out $85.3 billion in March to more than 63.3 million people, according to the Social Security Administration.
Newsmax. Wednesday, 22 May 2019.
- All Retirement Journalism Stinks, Part #127
A new survey claims that near-retirees dramatically overestimate the Social Security benefits they'll receive in retirement. In fact, Americans in their 50s guessed their average monthly retirement benefit almost to the dollar.
Forbes. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- The 100 most popular baby names of 2018 have been revealed
The Social Security Administration's list of the most popular baby names 2018 includes some old favorites, as well as some names inspired by pop culture mainstays like 'Game of Thrones.'
Mental Floss. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- Older Americans are relying too much on Social Security as a main source of income
Older Americans are relying too heavily on Social Security as their main income source. Many are claiming benefits at age 62, lowering monthly payouts
Yahoo. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- How Congress 'Extends the Life' of Social Security
Social Security is in even worse shape than we thought.
American Thinker. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- Hackers lurked in Citrix systems for six months
Social Security numbers and financial data may have been stolen.
ZDNet. Thursday, 2 May 2019.
- A Social Security Annuity Buy-In? Why Thaler And Ghilarducci Are Both Wrong
Should the government become an annuity provider? That's a risky proposal considering its track record.
Forbes. Wednesday, 1 May 2019.
- Advisors help clients tackle the complexities of Social Security
More financial advisors are helping their clients with Social Security. The decisions are a lot more complicated than whether to file earlier or later.
CNBC. Wednesday, 1 May 2019.
- Rising Inflation May Absorb Your Social Security Raise
Social Security raised benefits for 8 million recipients by 2.8%, effective January of this year. On average, this means recipients will receive $39 more with each check.
Newsmax. Thursday, 25 Apr 2019.
- Medicare and Social Security on insolvency paths, report warns
The bedrock retirement programs for middle- and working-class Americans are in shaky financial shape, report shows
CBS News. Tuesday, 23 Apr 2019.
- Expert advocates using 401(k) savings to fatten Social Security checks
Today's retirees have high debts and low savings. Nobel laureate Richard Thaler thinks buying into an annuity-type program through the Social Security Administration can help solve that. But other experts are not so sure.
CNBC. Tuesday, 23 Apr 2019.
- Social Security and Medicare Funds Face Insolvency, Report Finds
The social safety net programs are fraying as baby boomers age, the trustees of Social Security and Medicare said, but a political fix seems far away.
New York Times. Monday, 22 Apr 2019.
- W.Va. attorney general warns of Social Security scammers
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Officials are warning West Virginia residents to look out for scammers who pose as the Social Security Administration. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 19 Apr 2019.
Social security card
Related Directory Page(s)
Social Security News Headlines and News Summaries