This Social Security news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about social security news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Scotland's Halloween 'not cancelled' during Covid
SNP Social Security
Secretary Shirley-Anne Somerville urged families to mark Halloween as a household during Covid.
BBC News. Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020.
- One Easy Fix To Protect Social Security From Originalist Judges
"Easy" might be in the eye of the beholder, but there is a path towards ending the risk, however slight, of "originalist" judges ending social insurance programs.
Forbes. Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020.
- Social Security, Medicare Responsible For Bulk Of National Debt: Report
Medicare may face bankruptcy in as little as four years
Daily Caller. Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020.
- Trump hits Biden on Social Security, Medicare flip flops
With just barely more than a week to go before the November election, President Donald Trump has been taking Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden to task for his flippant record on cutting Medicare and Social Security
Fox News. Tuesday, 27 Oct 2020.
- 2020 Election: What Biden's Plans Would Mean For Social Security Solvency
A nonpartisan analysis looks at whether he'd close the coming shortfall.
Forbes. Thursday, 22 Oct 2020.
- Fact check: Biden voted to tax Social Security, wants to reform retirement benefits
As a senator, Joe Biden voted to tax Social Security
benefits. As a presidential hopeful, he does not propose taxing property or retirement accounts.
Yahoo. Tuesday, 20 Oct 2020.
- Social Security raise: Checks to increase by 1.3% in 2021
If you receive Social Security, you'll notice a bump in your monthly checks starting in January.
ABC News. Wednesday, 14 Oct 2020.
- Older parents and retirement: What about child benefits?
Having children complicates the math on when to claim Social Security
retirement benefits. Also: the downside of having too many credit cards.
Los Angeles Times. Wednesday, 14 Oct 2020.
- Social Security recipients to get extra $20 a month in 2021
Next year's cost of living adjustment is 1.3%, but some say the adjustment doesn't reflect real costs for seniors.
CBS News. Tuesday, 13 Oct 2020.
- Social Security's 2021 increase may be among smallest ever
Projected 1.3% bump would come after Social Security
benefits have lost almost one-third of their buying power.
CBS News. Friday, 25 Sep 2020.
- Graphs reveal what the 'Karens' of the future will be called based on name trends
Reddit user T1m_Burr used data from the U.S. Social Security
Administration to determine which names are likely to become the next 'Karen.'
Daily Mail. Saturday, 26 Sep 2020.
- Controversial Dundee development is new social security agency headquarters
The building, described by critics as "a monstrosity", will help bring hundreds of new jobs to Dundee.
BBC News. Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020.
- Popularity of the name 'Karen' is at its lowest since the 1930s
The Social Security
Administration has released the most popular baby names of 2019. Karen ranked at #660, with just 438 babies named Karen last year.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 10 Sep 2020.
- Trump administration allows deferral of Social Security tax
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Trump administration on Friday allowed employers to suspend collection of some Social Security
taxes, although business groups don't like the idea and it may create political headaches for Republicans. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 28 Aug 2020.
- Put your Social Security number and next of kin in your pocket, residents warned
Officials begged residents to evacuate ahead of Laura. But those who didn't leave should put their vital information in a plastic bag and pray.
ABC News. Thursday, 27 Aug 2020.
Social Security News Headlines and News Summaries