This Social Security news page includes headlines, articles, and citations about social security news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- All Retirement Journalism Stinks, Part #127
A new survey claims that near-retirees dramatically overestimate the Social Security benefits they'll receive in retirement. In fact, Americans in their 50s guessed their average monthly retirement benefit almost to the dollar.
Forbes. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- The 100 most popular baby names of 2018 have been revealed
The Social Security Administration's list of the most popular baby names 2018 includes some old favorites, as well as some names inspired by pop culture mainstays like 'Game of Thrones.'
Mental Floss. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- Older Americans are relying too much on Social Security as a main source of income
Older Americans are relying too heavily on Social Security as their main income source. Many are claiming benefits at age 62, lowering monthly payouts
Yahoo. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- How Congress 'Extends the Life' of Social Security
Social Security is in even worse shape than we thought.
American Thinker. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- Hackers lurked in Citrix systems for six months
Social Security numbers and financial data may have been stolen.
ZDNet. Thursday, 2 May 2019.
- A Social Security Annuity Buy-In? Why Thaler And Ghilarducci Are Both Wrong
Should the government become an annuity provider? That's a risky proposal considering its track record.
Forbes. Wednesday, 1 May 2019.
- Advisors help clients tackle the complexities of Social Security
More financial advisors are helping their clients with Social Security. The decisions are a lot more complicated than whether to file earlier or later.
CNBC. Wednesday, 1 May 2019.
- Rising Inflation May Absorb Your Social Security Raise
Social Security raised benefits for 8 million recipients by 2.8%, effective January of this year. On average, this means recipients will receive $39 more with each check.
Newsmax. Thursday, 25 Apr 2019.
- Medicare and Social Security on insolvency paths, report warns
The bedrock retirement programs for middle- and working-class Americans are in shaky financial shape, report shows
CBS News. Tuesday, 23 Apr 2019.
- Expert advocates using 401(k) savings to fatten Social Security checks
Today's retirees have high debts and low savings. Nobel laureate Richard Thaler thinks buying into an annuity-type program through the Social Security Administration can help solve that. But other experts are not so sure.
CNBC. Tuesday, 23 Apr 2019.
- Social Security and Medicare Funds Face Insolvency, Report Finds
The social safety net programs are fraying as baby boomers age, the trustees of Social Security and Medicare said, but a political fix seems far away.
New York Times. Monday, 22 Apr 2019.
- Report: Social Security to Become Insolvent In 2035
Medicare will become insolvent by 2026, with the same fate awaiting Social Security in 2035, according to CNBC.
Newsmax. Monday, 22 Apr 2019.
- W.Va. attorney general warns of Social Security scammers
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Officials are warning West Virginia residents to look out for scammers who pose as the Social Security Administration. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 19 Apr 2019.
- Montana governor's 3 vetoes include Social Security tax bill
HELENA, Mont. (AP) - Montana's governor has vetoed three bills including an increase in Social Security exemptions. The Independent Record reports that Democratic Gov. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 18 Apr 2019.
- Social Security number phone scam costing victims millions: FTC
The FTC said an old scam using Social Security numbers took in $17 million at its peak -- and this one's tab is already $19 million
CBS News. Friday, 12 Apr 2019.
Social security card
Related Directory Page(s)
Social Security News Headlines and News Summaries