This Social Security news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about social security news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Liam and Olivia revealed as the most popular US baby names for 2020
'It appears parents chose to stick with the familiar during an unprecedented time,' a press release from the Social Security
Administration read after the data was released Friday.
Daily Mail. Friday, 7 May 2021.
- How Equifax "bungled" its response to massive data breach
Credit reporting agency Equifax is facing backlash for its response to a data breach that exposed information of about 143 million U.S. consumers including names, social security
numbers, birth dates and credit card data. ...
CBS News. Wednesday, 5 May 2021.
- Sam Johnson's Social Security fix
A leading GOP congressman has introduced a plan to keep Social Security
solvent. Here are its main elements.
CBS News. Monday, 26 Apr 2021.
- Douglas Elliman data breach impacts thousands of New Yorkers
Douglas Elliman's property management arm suffered a data breach on April 7 that exposed residents' Social Security, driver's license and passport numbers.
Inman. Tuesday, 20 Apr 2021.
- Ask Larry: Will Early Social Security Retirement Benefits Reduce My Wife's Widow's Benefit?
Today's column addresses questions about how taking early retirement benefits would affect survivor's benefits taken later, when spousal benefits can be available and how divorced spousal benefits are calculated.
Forbes. Thursday, 15 Apr 2021.
- Ask Larry: How Does My Wife Switch From Social Security Retirement Benefits To Spousal Benefits?
Today's column addresses questions about 'switching' from a retirement benefit to a spousal benefit, filing retroactively and then immediately suspending and what benefits might be available on records of ex spouses.
Forbes. Sunday, 11 Apr 2021.
- People who receive Social Security benefits could receive stimulus payments today: IRS
Those who receive Social Security
benefits could receive their stimulus payments today.
ABC News. Wednesday, 7 Apr 2021.
- Duchess of Sussex: Private investigator unlawfully accessed private information
An LA-based investigator tells BBC News he unlawfully obtained her social security
BBC News. Thursday, 18 Mar 2021.
- California substitute teacher living in car gets surprise $27,000 check on 77th birthday from former student
Even before the pandemic, Jose "Mr. V" Villarruel hadn't been making enough from his substitute teaching job and was relying mainly on his Social Security
Fox News. Tuesday, 16 Mar 2021.
- Column: We're facing a tidal wave of COVID-related disability cases, and we're not ready
The pandemic threatens to strike Social Security's disability program and its beneficiaries in multiple ways that play into the system's weaknesses.
Los Angeles Times. Monday, 8 Mar 2021.
- Social Security scam calls use false claims of Social Security Number theft to steal money
scam calls are on the rise, racking up $45 million dollars in losses last year alone.
ABC News. Thursday, 11 Feb 2021.
- Column: Biden needs to clean house at the Social Security Administration, and fast
President Biden shouldn't delay dumping the vandals destroying Social Security
from the inside.
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 29 Jan 2021.
- Female Workers Could Take Another Pandemic Hit: To Their Retirements
Unequal job losses now will translate into smaller nest eggs and Social Security
benefits down the road.
New York Times. Friday, 11 Dec 2020.
- US Fertility is targeted in ransomware attack where patients' health data was stolen
US Fertility said it was targeted in a ransomware attack on September 14 that stole patients' names, addresses and in some cases private health data and Social Security
Daily Mail. Thursday, 26 Nov 2020.
- Social Security, Medicare Responsible For Bulk Of National Debt: Report
Medicare may face bankruptcy in as little as four years
Daily Caller. Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020.
Social Security News Headlines and News Summaries