This Shipbuilding news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about shipbuilding and shipbuilder news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Chairman, ranking member of House subcommittee to visit BIW
BATH, Maine (AP) - The Democratic chairman and ranking Republican on a House Armed Services subcommittee are paying a visit Friday to Navy shipbuilder
Bath Iron Works in Maine. Democratic Rep. Joe Courtney of Connecticut and GOP Rep. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 17 Jan 2020.
- Navy Considers Shipbuilding Cuts for Upcoming Budget
The Navy is proposing construction cutbacks and accelerated ship retirements that would delay, or sink, the Navy's goal of a larger fleet - and potentially hurt shipyards, according to an initial proposal.
Newsmax. Saturday, 28 Dec 2019.
- San Diego shipbuilder begins construction on the U.S. Navy ship Harvey Milk
Work has begun on constructing a Military Sealift Command fleet oiler after the pioneering gay leader, Harvey Milk. Milk spent four years in the Navy before being elected to public office.
Daily Mail. Saturday, 14 Dec 2019.
- A Day For Shipbuilders: Caroline Kennedy Christens The USS John F. Kennedy
The ship's high-profile christening marks a day of recognition for the thousands of workers that have participated in the project over more than five years.
NPR. Saturday, 7 Dec 2019.
- General Dynamics' Unit Wins $22B Submarine Construction Deal
General Dynamics' (GD) Electric Boat division will work with Huntington Ingalls' Newport News Shipbuilding
division for the construction of the fifth block of Virginia-class submarines.
Zacks. Wednesday, 4 Dec 2019.
- Navy orders nine more nuclear submarines in largest shipbuilding contract it's ever awarded at $22B
The US Navy on Monday announced the contract for nine new Virginia class subs, which will feature substantial upgrades in both size and firepower compared with the 18 subs currently in operation.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 3 Dec 2019.
- Jones Act Oil Rig Legislation Is Latest Controversy For Struggling Commercial Shipbuilders
Congress moves to tighten restrictions on when foreign ships and barges can be used within the U.S. market.
Forbes. Friday, 22 Nov 2019.
- Huntington Ingalls' (HII) Q3 Earnings Beat, Revenues Up Y/Y
Huntington Ingalls' (HII) top line up 6.5% year over year to $2,219 million, owing to higher volume in the Newport News Shipbuilding
division and growth in the Technical Solutions division.
Zacks. Thursday, 7 Nov 2019.
- NASSCO: The Last Major Shipyard On The U.S. West Coast Shows What It Takes To Survive
Staying afloat in the U.S. shipbuilding
industry means never relaxing.
Forbes. Friday, 25 Oct 2019.
- Shipbuilder, defense contractor Austal reveals data breach
Hackers demanded payment for the return of stolen information.
ZDNet. Friday, 2 Nov 2018.
- Australian defence contractor Austal hit by data breach
says its US operations are not impacted, as systems are not linked.
ZDNet. Thursday, 1 Nov 2018.
- Navy report cites lack of nuclear employees at shipyard
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - A draft report issued by a Navy command raises concerns about a lack of skilled workers in nuclear-related fields at Newport News Shipbuilding
in Virginia. ...
Washington Times. Sunday, 10 Jun 2018.
- Defence facing 'reputational damage' after audit predicts blowout for $89bn shipbuilding project
While the Turnbull Government's $89 billion naval shipbuilding
project is on track in its early stages, an independent watchdog is warning the project carries a "high-to-extreme risk" of expensive blowouts and delays in the future.
Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Tuesday, 15 May 2018.
- 'Valley of death' deepens as SA shipbuilder sheds more than 200 jobs
ASC is poised to shed up to 223 jobs from its Adelaide shipyard by June, despite declarations from the Federal Government that the so-called naval shipbuilding
"valley of death" is over.
Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Monday, 23 Apr 2018.
Ship Building News Headlines and News Summaries