This Satellite news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about satellites from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Space satellites equipped with machine learning count elephants on Earth
Researchers are using satellite
images processed with computer algorithms, which are trained with more than 1,000 images of elephants to help spot the creatures.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 21 Jan 2021.
- Elephants counted from space for conservation
imagery is being used to count elephants in a breakthrough that could aid conservation.
BBC News. Thursday, 21 Jan 2021.
- SpaceX expands public beta test of Starlink satellite internet to Canada and the UK
Elon Musk's company is now offering early public access to its Starlink satellite
internet service in Canada and the U.K.
CNBC. Wednesday, 20 Jan 2021.
- SpaceX launches 60 Starlink satellites, taking total in space to 950
Following liftoff, the Falcon 9 rocket released the Starlink satellites
into orbit, before landing the first stage on SpaceX's drone ship, 'Just Read the Instructions' in the Atlantic Ocean.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 20 Jan 2021.
- Counting elephants from space
Scientists have successfully used satellite
cameras coupled with deep learning to count animals in complex geographical landscapes, taking conservationists an important step forward in monitoring populations of endangered species.
Science Daily. Tuesday, 19 Jan 2021.
- Branson's Virgin Orbit completes first successful launch
Sir Richard Branson's satellite
launching company Virgin Orbit has successfully completed its first mission delivering NASA satellites
Sky News. Tuesday, 19 Jan 2021.
- Viasat (VSAT) Partners SKY to Boost Satellite Internet in Brazil
Viasat (VSAT) secures a distribution agreement with SKY Brasil to strengthen its presence in the South American country on the back of high-speed satellite
Internet service plans.
Zacks. Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021.
- New study reveals how fences hinder migratory wildlife in Western US
Wildlife biologists combined GPS location data of tagged mule deer and pronghorn antelope with satellite
imagery of Wyoming fences to find out just how often these animals encounter fences, and what happens when they do. ...
Science Daily. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- Elon Musk's Starlink given green light in UK
internet service is already being offered to a small number of UK consumers.
BBC News. Monday, 11 Jan 2021.
- SAP BrandVoice: Looking To The Skies: How Satellites In Space Are Helping To Fight Climate Change
COVID-19 has dominated the headlines and focus of much of the world, but the climate change crisis we're facing remains as urgent as ever. ...
Forbes. Monday, 11 Jan 2021.
- SpaceX launches Turkish satellite
The launching was the first of 40 or more SpaceX flights planned for 2021.
CBS News. Thursday, 7 Jan 2021.
- Telecom Stock Roundup: Viasat-Delta Ink Deal, Iridium Launches Edge Solar & More
While Viasat (VSAT) has secured a prime contract for Ka-band satellite
in-flight connectivity solutions from Delta Air, Iridium has launched Edge Solar to strengthen its leading position in the market.
Zacks. Thursday, 7 Jan 2021.
- A Third of the United States' Rivers Have Changed Color Since 1984, Satellite Images Reveal
The transformation from blue to shades of yellow and green raises concerns that waterways have been increasingly imperiled since 1984
Smithsonian. Monday, 4 Jan 2021.
- Mavericks Play In Most-Watched Christmas Day Game But Fox Sports Southwest Streaming Options Remain Limited
Because of ongoing disputes between Sinclair Broadcasting Group and a number of streaming and satellite
providers, Mavericks fans may not be able to watch the team play.
Forbes. Wednesday, 30 Dec 2020.
- SpaceX makes its last launch of the year successfully
Elon Musk's American aerospace company sends a spy satellite
on its last mission in 2020.
Entrepreneur. Saturday, 19 Dec 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries