This Sailing news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about sailing and sailor news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Royal Navy makes history appointing first ever female Admiral
Jude Terry, 48, who joined the Royal Navy in 1997, is now responsible for more than 40,000 regular and reservist sailors and Royal Marines and also takes charge of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 18 Jan 2022.
- Royal Navy sailor is jailed for three months for selling special forces diver watches on eBay
Able Seaman Joshua Cheetham (pictured) nicked a series of the gadgets - which operate at 300m underwater - while working as a storeman on warship HMS Kent.
Daily Mail. Monday, 17 Jan 2022.
- Stranded sailors rely on this Walmart of the seas. COVID made it hard to stay afloat
A 90-year-old family business called Harbor Ship Supply acts as a supermarket to ships and seafarers, a tougher task these days.
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 14 Jan 2022.
- Greek sailing coach in rape trial over MeToo revelations
When an Olympic champion spoke out about abuse, a young woman alleged she was raped by her coach.
BBC News. Wednesday, 12 Jan 2022.
- US Coast Guard rescues Haitians from unseaworthy sailboat off coast of Florida
The U.S. Coast Guard pulled 176 Haitians from an overloaded, unseaworthy wooden sailing
vessel as it approached the Florida Keys, officials said.
Fox News. Tuesday, 11 Jan 2022.
- Navy discharges first sailors for declining COVID-19 vaccine
The Navy removed the first group of sailors from the service for not getting the COVID-19 vaccine, the Navy announced in a Wednesday statement.
Fox News. Thursday, 6 Jan 2022.
- Judge blocks Pentagon from punishing Navy sailors who decline COVID shots
Nearly all active-duty members of the Navy are fully-vaccinated against COVID-19, the Navy said.
CBS News. Tuesday, 4 Jan 2022.
- Divers find WWII submarine that sank in "rare" naval confrontation
The Jantina sank on July 5, 1941, with 48 sailors aboard after being hit by torpedoes fired by the HMS Torbay in the Aegean Sea.
CBS News. Monday, 3 Jan 2022.
- Meet the 82-year-old UK Sailor of the Year
Fearless 82-year-old Scot Murdoch McGregor is the UK sailor
of the year for 2021 after his incredible solo voyage made him the oldest person to circumnavigate Britain.
BBC News. Wednesday, 29 Dec 2021.
- Richard Marcinko, Founding Commander of SEAL Team 6, Dies at 81
The Navy asked Commander Marcinko, a larger-than-life sailor
who often flouted rules, to build a SEAL unit that could respond quickly to terrorist crises.
New York Times. Tuesday, 28 Dec 2021.
- 20 fictional heroine phrases for successful female entrepreneurs
What girl didn't dream of being Sailor
Moon, Wonder Woman, the pink Power Ranger or any other fictional character to be stronger and more respected?
Entrepreneur. Sunday, 26 Dec 2021.
- You, Too, Could Be Sailing in the Sydney Hobart
Nonprofessional sailors, with some training, can land berths. Or pay for them.
New York Times. Friday, 24 Dec 2021.
- Germany's head of navy calls China's naval power buildup 'explosive' and a cause of worry
The frigate Bayern is sailing
through the South China Sea in the first deployment of a German warship to the Indo-Pacific in almost 20 years.
CNBC. Thursday, 23 Dec 2021.
- Carnival (CCL) Rides on Robust Booking and Ticket Price
Carnival (CCL) is benefiting from the resumption of sailing, robust booking and ticket price improvements.
Zacks. Thursday, 9 Dec 2021.
- The Story Behind Pearl Harbor's Most Successful Rescue Mission
Eighty years ago, civilian Julio DeCastro and his colleagues at the Hawaii base's naval yard saved 32 sailors trapped inside the U.S.S. "Oklahoma"
Smithsonian. Monday, 6 Dec 2021.
Sailing Instruction News Headlines and News Summaries