This Public School news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about public schools from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- California high school goes phone-free, largest public school in US to do it
PHONE-FREE ZONE: California high school has become the largest school in the country to go phone-free.
ABC News. Tuesday, 20 Aug 2019.
- NC gov brings in teachers to build budget pressure
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper is meeting with North Carolina public school
teachers to try to build additional pressure upon Republicans to resolve the two-month budget stalemate to his liking. ...
Washington Times. Tuesday, 20 Aug 2019.
- Democratic Congressional Candidate Says Opponent Lacks Faith In Public Schools, But Sends His Own Kids To Private School
'Conduct a war on schools'
Daily Caller. Friday, 16 Aug 2019.
- Top 25 Public Colleges 2019: The Best Education For $30,000 Less
Unlike the top liberal arts schools, there is no central hub of prominent top public colleges; the most notable public schools
are spread evenly across the country.
Forbes. Thursday, 15 Aug 2019.
- Fayette County Public Schools evade Kentucky 'In God We Trust' law with framed $1 bills
LEXINGTON, Ky. — A new state law requires Kentucky public schools
to display the motto "In God We Trust," and one school district has responded with framed copies of a $1 bill. ...
Washington Times. Wednesday, 14 Aug 2019.
- Illinois public schools to teach LGBTQ history
Four other states have similar laws requiring LGBTQ history be taught in public schools
CBS News. Wednesday, 14 Aug 2019.
- NJ mayor calls law requiring public schools to teach LGBTQ curriculum 'an affront to almighty God'
Alfonso Cirulli, 60, the mayor of Barnegat Township, New Jersey, and a former assistant principal, made the comments during a town council meeting on Tuesday evening.
Daily Mail. Friday, 9 Aug 2019.
- CPS 2020 budget invests in neighborhood schools across the city
Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced her 2020 budget proposal for Chicago Public Schools
ABC News. Thursday, 8 Aug 2019.
- 'Tired Of Being Treated Like Dirt' Teacher Morale In The 2019 PDK Poll
The title of the 2019 Phi Delta Kappa Poll of the Public's Attitudes Toward the Public Schools
of "Frustration in the Schools," and the focus in much of the coverage has been on the results about teacher morale.
Forbes. Wednesday, 7 Aug 2019.
- Democratic Presidential Hopefuls Take Part in 2nd Debate
Former VP Biden promising a more robust performance than in first debate, where he faltered as California Senator Harris challenged him regarding forced busing of schoolchildren to racially desegregate public schools.
Voice of America. Wednesday, 31 Jul 2019.
- Mother of stabbed public schoolboy Yousef Makki hits out at sentence handed to teenager
Yousef Makki, 17, was stabbed after a row with his friends and died in Greater Manchester in March. His mother Debbie, 54, has now spoken about the loss of her clever and sporty son.
Daily Mail. Sunday, 28 Jul 2019.
- South Dakota to require "In God We Trust" signs in public schools
When students return to public schools
in the state this fall, they'll see a new message on display: "In God We Trust"
CBS News. Friday, 26 Jul 2019.
- South Dakota Public Schools Add 'In God We Trust' Signs To Walls
When students return to class next month in South Dakota, they'll be greeted by the national motto, prominently displayed on school walls.
NPR. Thursday, 25 Jul 2019.
- This Supreme Court Case Made School District Lines A Tool For Segregation
Today, "inequality is endemic" in America's public schools, according to a new report.
NPR. Thursday, 25 Jul 2019.
- Beto O'Rourke pushes student loan forgiveness for public school teachers
Presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke announced a plan to forgive 100% of student loan debt for all public school
teachers, as part of a far-reaching plan for massive investment in public education.
CNBC. Friday, 5 Jul 2019.
News Headlines and News Summaries