This Public School news page includes news headlines, articles, and citations about public schools from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- School segregation on the rise 65 years after Brown v. Board
Although white students are becoming a minority in the public school system, they are seeing increasingly fewer students of color in their classrooms
CBS News. Monday, 20 May 2019.
- Elizabeth Warren Says No To Giving For-Profit Charter Schools Public Tax Dollars
'Public tax dollars should stay in our public schools'
Daily Caller. Sunday, 19 May 2019.
- Bernie Sanders Proposes US Education Overhaul in Appeal to Black Voters
Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders unveiled an education policy proposal on Saturday designed to pump billions of dollars into the public schools system, in a bid to appeal to black voters who shunned the U.S. ...
Newsmax. Saturday, 18 May 2019.
- Warren Vows to Appoint Education Secretary with Public School Teaching Experience
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., on Monday promised that if she wins the 2020 presidential election, she will appoint someone who has worked as a public school teacher as Secretary of Education.
Newsmax. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- After Backlash, Rhode Island School District Rolls Back 'Lunch Shaming' Policy
Warwick Public Schools reversed its decision to bar students with delinquent debt from access to hot lunch meals after it was met with anger. An outpouring of donations has since erased the debts.
NPR. Friday, 10 May 2019.
- Rhode Island District May Reverse Policy to Serve Cold Sandwiches to Students With Lunch Debt
The superintendent of the Warwick Public School District said the school committee would vote next week on a proposal to reverse the policy.
New York Times. Friday, 10 May 2019.
- California overhauls sex ed guidance for public school teachers
The more-than-700-page document doesn't require schools to teach anything, but it's designed to expose teachers to current research about health education and give guidance about how to teach it
CBS News. Thursday, 9 May 2019.
- Rhode Island District Tells Students With Lunch Debt: Only Jelly Sandwiches for You
The new policy by Warwick Public Schools drew widespread criticism, with many saying that poorer children should not have to struggle with inadequate nutrition while trying to learn.
New York Times. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- Ex-Milwaukee schools official pleads guilty to bribery
MILWAUKEE (AP) - The former president of the Milwaukee Public Schools board of directors has pleaded guilty in an alleged bribery scheme. ...
Washington Times. Monday, 6 May 2019.
- ABCs of LGBTQ history mandated for more U.S. public schools
A picture book for second graders about a family with two moms. A lesson for fourth graders about Gold Rush era stagecoach driver Charley Parkhurst, who was born a woman but lived as a man.
Reuters. Friday, 3 May 2019.
- Teachers Begin To See Unfair Student Loans Disappear
The Department of Education is expanding a fix to its troubled TEACH Grant program, giving millions of dollars of grant money back to public school teachers working in the country's neediest schools.
NPR. Friday, 3 May 2019.
- Public school financing divides Louisiana's GOP lawmakers
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Republicans in the House and Senate are at odds over Gov. John Bel Edwards' proposal to give Louisiana's public school districts a $39 million block grant increase. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 2 May 2019.
- Public school asks Liverpool football scouts to teach them how to spot poor but talented youngsters
Headmaster Dr Anthony Wallersteiner (pictured above) of Stoke School, Buckinghamshire, has taken the unusual move of turning to Premier League title contenders Liverpool.
Daily Mail. Sunday, 28 Apr 2019.
- Public school changes name from Haight to 'Love Elementary'
A public school in the San Francisco Bay Area named after a California governor who espoused racist views and opposed giving minorities the right to vote will change its name to "Love Elementary."
ABC News. Friday, 26 Apr 2019.
- K-12: Internet vs. Ignorance. Who wins?
Will the internet bring about the perfect democracy? Or have public schools already destroyed the dream?
American Thinker. Friday, 26 Apr 2019.
Education at a public school
Related Directory Page(s)
News Headlines and News Summaries