This Public School news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about public schools from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Chicago Public Schools: Parents weigh in on CTU's push to remain remote
Some parents support the teachers and the push to remain remote, but other parents say it's time to get back in the classroom.
ABC News. Saturday, 23 Jan 2021.
- 13,000 School Districts, 13,000 Approaches to Teaching During Covid
To assess how public schools
have navigated the pandemic and the impact on students, The Times examined seven representative districts. The answers were strikingly different.
New York Times. Thursday, 21 Jan 2021.
- Chicago Public Schools: CTU delegates pass resolution authorizing remote learning to continue
The Chicago Teachers Union House of Delegates passed a resolution allowing all members to only work remotely. Many teachers have been refusing to return to the classroom over COVID-19 concerns.
ABC News. Thursday, 21 Jan 2021.
- In Pennsylvania, The Dismantling Of A Public School System
Chester Upland School District is on the verge of making history. That's not a good thing.
Forbes. Friday, 15 Jan 2021.
- Chicago Teachers Union leader under fire for pushing remote schooling while vacationing in Caribbean
A Chicago Teachers Union leader is under fire for pushing for Chicago public schools
to remain remote because of coronavirus risks while vacationing in the Caribbean.
Fox News. Friday, 1 Jan 2021.
- Editorial: Help the students COVID-19 has pushed through the cracks
Given the probability that public schools
will be closed for many more weeks, it's time to think about how to rev up online learning for hundreds of thousands of disengaged students in California.
Los Angeles Times. Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020.
- Statue of Civil Rights Activist Barbara Rose Johns Will Replace U.S. Capitol's Likeness of Robert E. Lee
Johns, whose efforts helped desegregate public schools, is set to represent Virginia in place of the Confederate general
Smithsonian. Wednesday, 23 Dec 2020.
- Biden education secretary nominee pushed microaggression resources in response to riots
Miguel Cardona is said to have been chosen for the role in part because of his public school
Fox News. Wednesday, 23 Dec 2020.
- Biden announces Miguel Cardona as education secretary nominee
Cordona, who has been the education commissioner of Connecticut and has public schools
experience, will become the third Latino tapped to serve in the Biden administration.
CBS News. Tuesday, 22 Dec 2020.
- Public School Employee Charged With Sexual Assault Of Children 40 Years Later
The suspect was working as a special education paraprofessional
Daily Caller. Tuesday, 22 Dec 2020.
- Biden to tap Miguel Cardona as education secretary
Cordona is the education commissioner of Connecticut, and has public schools
CBS News. Tuesday, 22 Dec 2020.
- Trouble In Paradise: Most Hawaii Public Schools Are Still Remote
Shockingly, despite relatively low Covid-19 positivity rates, Hawaii ranks third highest in the nation for percentage of schools that are engaged entirely or mostly in distance learning. Working parents and children are suffering. ...
Forbes. Sunday, 20 Dec 2020.
- New York City Changing Academic Admissions Policies To Combat Segregation In Specialized Schools
'New York City public schools
remain some of the most segregated'
Daily Caller. Friday, 18 Dec 2020.
- Ransomware Cyberattacks Cripple US Systems
But what happened to the public school
system in Baltimore was not an isolated case.
Voice of America. Friday, 18 Dec 2020.
- For Opponents of Native American Nicknames, 2020 Brought Hope
Leaders in the movement to rid sports of such nicknames and the logos that accompany them saw a domino effect building in public schools
after two major professional teams made changes. But there are staunch holdouts.
New York Times. Friday, 18 Dec 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries