This Public School news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about public schools from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Mayor Johnson announces up to 12 weeks parental leave for Chicago Public Schools employees
A major policy change for family leave is on the way for Chicago Public Schools
ABC News. Thursday, 8 Jun 2023.
- New Yorkers flee indoors as Canadian wildfire smoke smothers city
Public schools barred students from going outside, while sports organizations scrapped events because of unhealthy air.
CBS News. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- On Chicago Public Schools' last day, activists roll out tip line in effort to stop 'teen takeovers'
The communication system is called "Parents For Chicago," and it alerts parents when a tip about a large teen takeover is being planned.
ABC News. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- Ex-public schoolboy jailed for becoming a jihadist denied parole hearing
EXCLUSIVE: Isa Ibrahim, the former public schoolboy-turned jihadist, has made so little progress in prison he has been denied a parole hearing. Authorities believe he's still a threat to society.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- One of Britain's oldest public schools calls police after pupil tries to use phone as spy camera
EXCLUSIVE: Durham School - one of UK's oldest public schools
- was forced to call police after a pupil tried to use their phone in the changing room while Year 8 girls were getting into their bathing suits.
Daily Mail. Sunday, 4 Jun 2023.
- Bill to Force Texas Public Schools to Display Ten Commandments Fails
A Republican effort to bring religion into classrooms faltered, though lawmakers were poised to allow chaplains to act as school counselors.
New York Times. Thursday, 25 May 2023.
- New York City Public Schools Reverses ChatGPT Ban
The school system announced the initial ban in January, citing cheating concerns.
Forbes. Thursday, 18 May 2023.
- Kemp signs Georgia budget with raises, scholarship boosts
Raises are coming for state and university employees and public school
teachers and Georgia will pay full college tuition for all HOPE Scholarship recipients under the budget signed Friday by Gov. Brian Kemp.
Washington Times. Friday, 5 May 2023.
- Charter Schools, Still Hotly Debated, Could Expand in New York
State lawmakers seem poised to allow more charter schools to open in the city. While the number is small, the debate over charter schools remains heated as public schools
lose students and funds.
New York Times. Thursday, 27 Apr 2023.
- Texas school voucher fight is a test of the power of 'anti-woke' rhetoric
Republicans are pitching school voucher programs to combat 'the radical woke agenda.' But rural Texas conservatives like their public schools
just the way they are.
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 21 Apr 2023.
- Teaching about sexuality, gender identity banned in Florida public schools
Prior to Wednesday's decision, discussions of gender identity and sexuality in kindergarten through 3rd grade were banned.
CBS News. Thursday, 20 Apr 2023.
- California public school enrollment continues decline, still reeling from pandemic plunge
The state added school for 4-year-olds, which benefited enrollment figures but did not offset an overall decline.
Los Angeles Times. Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023.
- Entrepreneurial Teachers Create New Education Options For Rural Families
Founded earlier this year by former Kansas public school
teacher Devan Dellenbach, this rural microschool currently serves 10 children. It is expanding this fall to include more children and more offerings.
Forbes. Friday, 31 Mar 2023.
- House Republicans pass Parents Bill of Rights Act
The House on Friday passed legislation to give parents more say and insight of what is taught in public schools.
Washington Times. Friday, 24 Mar 2023.
- Gov. Abbott Says He Wants to Eliminate Public School Tax From Property Tax Bills
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, while in Arlington Wednesday promoting the state's growing economy, said he wants to remove the school tax burden from property owners and restore tools for economic development.
NBC. Wednesday, Feb 22 2023.
News Headlines and News Summaries