This Private School news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about private schools from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Private Schools Cashed in on P.P.P. Funding
Despite hefty endowments, wealthy private schools
have received money from programs designed to save small businesses.
New York Times. Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021.
- Will Private Schools Survive the Next Wave of the Pandemic?
How private schools
will fare as the coronavirus enters a new wave.
Entrepreneur. Monday, 11 Jan 2021.
- Elite private school renames Clive of India house
Robert Clive was a notoriously wealthy military leader in the 18th century and attended Merchant Taylor's School for Boys in Hertfordshire for one year before being expelled for fighting.
Daily Mail. Saturday, 9 Jan 2021.
- Connecticut private school vaccinated 11 staff members before healthcare workers and the elderly
The Williams School in New London was wrongly classified by the state as eligible for the jab. Eleven employees got the shot meant for health workers and those in nursing homes.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021.
- Editorial: Goodbye to Betsy DeVos, who survived by accomplishing almost nothing
Betsy DeVos' agenda as Education secretary was mostly to push private schools
over public and create fertile ground for sketchy for-profit colleges.
Los Angeles Times. Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020.
- Families jump to private schools as coronavirus drags on
As the coronavirus crisis continues on through the fall, more families are considering a switch to independent schools, despite the cost.
CNBC. Sunday, 8 Nov 2020.
- Pennsylvania Poised To Turn CARES Money Into School Vouchers
Betsy DeVos's attempt to turn CARES money into private school
vouchers failed. Now some Pennsylvania legislators are poised to try a similar sleight of hand.
Forbes. Wednesday, 30 Sep 2020.
- Education Secretary DeVos warns about wave of private school closings: 'That's a crisis in the making'
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos called for Congress to pass coronavirus relief legislation with funding for school choice, warning that more private schools
are on the brink of closing without federal help.
Fox News. Saturday, 19 Sep 2020.
- Judge rules DeVos plan to give more coronavirus relief to private schools is illegal
A Washington D.C. federal judge Friday tossed out Education Secretary Betsy DeVos's policy that would have funneled millions of more coronavirus relief dollars to private schools
in a ruling that will have a nationwide impact.
Fox News. Saturday, 5 Sep 2020.
- Second Federal Judge Slams DeVos Plan To Send Federal Funds To Private Schools
U.S. District judge called the Education Department's argument "interpretive jiggery pokery."
Forbes. Saturday, 29 Aug 2020.
- Federal Judge Blocks Betsy DeVos Rule On Private School COVID Funds
'Wrong to discriminate'
Daily Caller. Friday, 28 Aug 2020.
- A-level results have 'baked in' inequality with 'boost' for private schools
Private schools seem to have benefited most from this year's A-levels results change, fuelling claims the system is disadvantaging pupils from poorer backgrounds.
Sky News. Thursday, 13 Aug 2020.
- Parents look to private schools for in-person instruction as school districts announce online starts
As more schools announce online starts for fall amid the coronavirus pandemic, parents are looking to private schools
for face-to-face instruction.
CNBC. Saturday, 8 Aug 2020.
- Private Schools That Can Reopen Safely Should Have Option, Association Says
The owner of a North Texas private school
is questioning whether there are any waivers or exemptions that could be applied to small schools like hers in regards to reopening.
NBC. Friday, Jul 24 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries