This Private School news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about private schools from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Supreme Court Ruling Gives Religious Schools More Access to State Aid
Religious schools are not exempt from access to scholarships and funds intended for private schools, the justices ruled, in a victory for conservatives.
New York Times. Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020.
- Private schools accuse ministers of 'ignoring' their offers to provide summer catch-up courses
Private schools have accused government ministers of 'ignoring' their offers to provide local children with summer catch-up courses and the use of their school buildings.
Daily Mail. Sunday, 28 Jun 2020.
- US Public Schools Must Share COVID-19 Aid With Private Schools
New policy by Education Department upsets some public school supporters who question the way the funds would be allocated.
Voice of America. Thursday, 25 Jun 2020.
- DeVos issues rule steering more virus aid to private schools
The Trump administration on Thursday moved forward with a policy ordering public schools across the U.S. to share coronavirus relief funding with private schools
at a higher rate than federal law typically requires. ...
Yahoo. Thursday, 25 Jun 2020.
- Black students and alumni from elite US private schools detail the horrific racism they faced
Instagram pages have popped up for Black students and alum of several prestigious private school
sin the US to share their stories. Many have said they felt powerless to speak up.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 23 Jun 2020.
- WeWork is talking to NYC private schools about holding classes in offices this fall, CEO says
This would allow schools to hold in-person classes while reducing the density among students, WeWork CEO Sandeep Mathrani told CNBC.
CNBC. Tuesday, 16 Jun 2020.
- As wealthy families flee, New York City's private schools brace for an uncertain fall
Many families are debating if they will return to New York due to the coronavirus pandemic, which could open up several spots at the city's elite private schools.
CNBC. Sunday, 14 Jun 2020.
- Fettes College faces further allegations of abuse
Two more men say they were physically and sexually abused at one of Scotland's top private schools.
BBC News. Wednesday, 3 Jun 2020.
- Four Months After First Case, U.S. Death Toll Passes 100,000
Scientists are revising the timeline of how the virus spread. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said she would direct public school districts to share federal aid with private schools.
New York Times. Thursday, 28 May 2020.
- Former Fettes pupil tells of 'horrendous' abuse
The victim said he was sexually assaulted while he was a pupil at the private school
in the 1970s.
BBC News. Wednesday, 27 May 2020.
- Tennessee voucher program challenge heads to court Wednesday
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A push to block a new Tennessee education voucher program that would allow eligible families to use public tax dollars on private schooling tuition is headed for a court hearing Wednesday. ...
Washington Times. Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020.
- Coronavirus update: Illinois schools closed with 105 COVID-19 cases in IL; Chicago Public Schools offering free meals
Tuesday marks the first day of canceled classes for public and private schools
across Illinois due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
ABC News. Tuesday, 17 Mar 2020.
- The Great Voucher Research Conundrum
How could private school
choice programs be more beneficial to the students who are left behind in public schools than those that use them to attend private schools?
Forbes. Thursday, 27 Feb 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries