This Museum news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about museums from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Hagia Sophia: Pope 'pained' as Istanbul museum reverts to mosque
The Pope is the latest faith leader to voice concern at the Istanbul museum
reverting to a mosque.
BBC News. Sunday, 12 Jul 2020.
- Turkey's Erdogan formally designates Hagia Sophia as a mosque
Turkey's President Erdogan issued a decree on Friday formally changing the status of the Hagia Sophia from a museum
to a mosque. The decision was met with controversy as the historical landmark has roots in both Christianity and Islam. ...
CBS News. Saturday, 11 Jul 2020.
- World Council of Churches "dismayed" by Hagia Sophia decision
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan formally converted the former museum
back into a mosque Friday and declared it open for Muslim worship.
CBS News. Saturday, 11 Jul 2020.
- Crieff boy, 11, youngest to climb the Matterhorn
Jules Molyneaux has been confirmed by the Matterhorn museum
to be the youngest to reach the imposing mountain's summit.
BBC News. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- Istanbul's Hagia Sophia transformed into mosque by Erdogan
The move came hours after Turkey's highest court issued a landmark ruling that unanimously annulled the 1934 cabinet decision to renovate the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul into a museum.
Daily Mail. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- U.S. Supreme Court to Rule on Medieval Treasure Bought by Nazis
The Guelph Treasure was acquired by a German state collection in 1935 from a consortium of Jewish art dealers. Their descendants say the sale was forced, but a Berlin museum
claims the deal was fair.
New York Times. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- Turkey's Erdogan says Hagia Sophia becomes mosque after court ruling
President Tayyip Erdogan declared Istanbul's Hagia Sophia open to Muslim worship on Friday after a top court ruled that the building's conversion to a museum
by modern Turkey's founding statesman was illegal.
CNBC. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- Edelman invites Jackson to Holocaust museum
Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman, who is Jewish, says he'd like to take DeSean Jackson to the Holocaust museum.
ESPN. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Julian Edelman wants to have 'uncomfortable conversations' with DeSean Jackson
The Patriots' Julian Edelman invited the Eagles' DeSean Jackson to visit the Holocaust Museum
with him after Jackson published an anti-Semitic post.
Los Angeles Times. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Jewish Patriots star Julian Edelman asks DeSean Jackson to tour the Holocaust Museum with him
The New England Patriots' Julian Edelman proposed that he and the Eagles' DeSean Jackson visit Washington DC's Holocaust museum
after Jackson's 'anti-Semitic' Instagram posts.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Grammy Museum Teams Up With Michelle Obama, Grammy U For Virtual Mentorship Monday Program
Every Monday from July 20 through August 31, music industry professionals will mentor college students and recent graduates virtually through digital conferences.
Forbes. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- 2 Art Gallery Shows to Explore From Home
Galleries and museums
are getting creative about presenting work online during the coronavirus crisis. Here are two shows worth viewing virtually.
New York Times. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Former Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia will help design clothing line honoring past Black baseball players
The partnership will feature the Major League Baseball Players Association and donate a portion of revenue from sales to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
in Kansas City.
CNBC. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Ending the Use of Racist Mascots and Images
The appropriation of Native language and imagery perpetuates racism and legitimizes racist acts, says the director of the American Indian Museum
Smithsonian. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Famous 'Jurassic Park' dinosaur is less lizard, more bird
From movies to museum
exhibits, the dinosaur Dilophosaurus is no stranger to pop culture. ...
Science Daily. Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020.
Museums News Headlines and News Summaries