This Mental Health news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about mental health news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Lockdown mental health: Tips for helping your child
Lockdown has seen an increase in children under 11 seeking counselling according to the NSPCC.
BBC News. Sunday, 17 Jan 2021.
- Family of man fatally shot by Texas officer push for his arrest
Family members of a Black man fatally shot by a Killeen, Texas, police officer who was responding to a mental health
call are calling for the officer to be arrested and charged for the shooting.
Fox News. Saturday, 16 Jan 2021.
- Therapists Are on TikTok. And How Does That Make You Feel?
Mental health professionals are going viral on the app, captivating an anxious generation.
New York Times. Saturday, 16 Jan 2021.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton speak to frontline workers about bereavement support
Prince William and Kate Middleton heard about the mental health
support provided for frontline workers during the pandemic by Hospice UK's Just 'B' counselling and bereavement support line.
Daily Mail. Saturday, 16 Jan 2021.
- Mentally ill woman, 29, has been locked in a cage by her relatives in the Philippines for FIVE YEARS
A young Filipina woman named Bebe has been locked in a cage by her family who say they cannot afford proper treatment for the 29-year-old's mental health
Daily Mail. Friday, 15 Jan 2021.
- Family calls for the arrest of the officer who killed a Black man during a mental health check
Disturbing video shows the moments leading up to a police officer shooting and killing a Black man in Killeen, Texas, after a call for a mental health
check. His family demands the officer is immediately arrested. Omar Villafranca reports.
CBS News. Friday, 15 Jan 2021.
- Covid-19: 'One medic saw eight people die in a single shift'
A therapist who arranges free mental health
help for NHS workers says many are at "breaking point".
BBC News. Friday, 15 Jan 2021.
- Kings' choice for helmet logo creates 'goosebumps'
The Kings will display the logo of the California HOPE Crisis Counseling Program, a mental health
and wellness initiative, on their helmets this season.
Los Angeles Times. Thursday, 14 Jan 2021.
- Amid coronavirus pandemic, UK researchers urge focus on ICU staff mental health: study
A new study found that 40% of about 700 medical workers in the U.K., caring for the most dire coronavirus patients, hit the threshold for developing post-traumatic stress disorder, among other pressing mental health
Fox News. Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021.
- Nearly Half Of ICU Staff Working Through Pandemic Have Mental Health Issues, U.K. Study Shows
Nurses reported worse mental health
across a number of metrics, with one in five reporting thoughts of self-harm or suicide.
Forbes. Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021.
- Reforms to Mental Health Act will offer 'greater choice and autonomy'
Sweeping reforms to the Mental Health
Act will give those in a mental health
crisis a "greater choice and autonomy" over their care, the government has promised.
Sky News. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- How This Attorney Is Getting Mental Health Resources to Tragedy-Struck Families
A civil rights lawyer and activist shares how he's helping the families of victims of police violence.
Entrepreneur. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- Study finds risk factors linked to COVID-19 mental health impacts for college students
A study of students at seven public universities across the United States has identified risk factors that may place students at higher risk for negative psychological impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Science Daily. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- Death row woman facing lethal injection given stay of execution
A judge has granted the only woman on US federal death row a stay of execution to check whether she is competent to be put to death on mental health
Sky News. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- Mindfulness can improve mental health and wellbeing -- but unlikely to work for everyone
Mindfulness courses can reduce anxiety, depression and stress and increase mental wellbeing within most but not all non-clinical settings, say a team of researchers. ...
Science Daily. Monday, 11 Jan 2021.
News Headlines and News Summaries