This Gymnastic news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about gymnastic and gymnast news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- 'I'm appalled and ashamed' - British Gymnastics boss responds to allegations of abuse in the sport
British Gymnastics boss Jane Allen says she is "appalled and ashamed" following allegations of abuse within the sport.
BBC News. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- Abusive behaviour completely normalised, say Olympians Becky and Ellie Downie
British Olympians Becky and Ellie Downie say abusive behaviour in their gymnastics training became "so ingrained in our daily lives that that it was completely normalised".
BBC News. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- UK Sport launch probe into claims that British gymnasts were abused by their coaches
RIATH AL-SAMARRAI: British Gymnastics confirmed that there will also be an independent inquiry into the mistreatment of athletes, after a series of astonishing claims.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020.
- Gymnast 'was hit by coach hard enough to leave hand print on thigh'
British Gymnastics have admitted they were wrong for not telling the parents of a child about allegations she was being physically and emotionally abused by her coach.
Sky News. Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020.
- British gymnasts who competed at Olympics and Commonwealth Games in abuse and bullying claims
Gymnastics champion Lisa Mason, who competed for Britain at the Sydney Olympics, is among those claiming she suffered abused, some of which she says occurred aged 10.
Daily Mail. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
- British gymnasts 'beaten into submission' amid 'culture of fear'
British gymnasts, including Olympians and elite competitors, claim the sport is riddled with cases of physical and emotional abuse with some suggesting their complaints about welfare issues weren't taken seriously by the governing body.
Sky News. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
- You've seen 'Athlete A.' How do you watch Olympic gymnastics now?
Rachael Denhollander and the filmmakers behind the Netflix documentary 'Athlete A' talk about the changes they'd like to see from USA Gymnastics.
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 3 Jul 2020.
- US gymnastics star Kurt Thomas dies at 64 days after suffering stroke
Kurt Thomas, the first U.S. male gymnast
to win a gold medal at the world championships died of complications from a stroke, his family said Friday. He was 64.
Fox News. Monday, 8 Jun 2020.
- Season Interrupted: Norco's Taylor Shorter has improved by leaps and bounds
Taylor Shorter turned to hurdles at Norco and admits she had no idea what she was doing when she first started.
Los Angeles Times. Sunday, 7 Jun 2020.
- Ex-Alabama gymnast details team's racist culture
Former Alabama gymnast
Tia Kiaku says she didn't feel welcome at the school and detailed the racism she faced while on the team, including a racist joke from an assistant coach and teammates using the N-word without repercussions.
ESPN. Friday, 5 Jun 2020.
- She Accused a Coach of Abuse. Then More Than 30 Gymnasts Backed Her Up.
A gymnastics coach in New York City was suspended after Sara Allan, who trained at a gym there, wrote about her experience on Facebook. She received an outpouring of similar complaints from other gymnasts.
New York Times. Saturday, 30 May 2020.
- Gymnasts Push for Lasting Change After a Coach Is Suspended for Abuse
When Maggie Haney, the prominent coach of an Olympian, was barred for eight years after being accused of emotional abuse, gymnasts saw an opening to press for other cases to go forward and to demand broader change.
New York Times. Wednesday, 20 May 2020.
- Courtney Stodden does gymnastics in hot pink bikini
Courtney Stodden is figuring out new ways to have fun in self-isolation.
Fox News. Thursday, 14 May 2020.
- Gymnastics: U.S. calls off 2020 national championships
USA Gymnastics has called off its premier events this year including June's national championships due to the coronavirus pandemic, officials said on Tuesday.
Reuters. Tuesday, 12 May 2020.
- Minnesota gymnast Sunisa Lee's Olympic quest delayed a year
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - For the last 10 years, almost everything Sunisa Lee has done has been in the name of 2020. ...
Washington Times. Saturday, 28 Mar 2020.
Gymnastics Instruction News Headlines and News Summaries