This Geological news page includes headlines, articles, and citations about geological and geology news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- "You cannot find a soulmate," relationship expert says
"Marriageology" author Belinda Luscombe shares her research on tricks to a long-lasting relationship
CBS News. Tuesday, 21 May 2019.
- Powerful quake hits Papua New Guinea, tsunami alert issued
The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake measured magnitude 7.5 and was centered 45 kilometers (28 miles) northeast of Kokopo.
CNBC. Tuesday, 14 May 2019.
- Magnitude 5.3 earthquake strikes near Iraq's Sulaimaniya: USGS
A magnitude 5.3 earthquake struck near the Iraqi Kurdish city of Sulaimaniya on Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. Local medics said no injuries were reported and officials said there was no significant material damage.
Reuters. Saturday, 11 May 2019.
- Magnitude 6.3 earthquake hits city in southwest Japan
The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit near Miyazaki in southwestern Japan.
Fox News. Friday, 10 May 2019.
- How ancient geology left its mark on the US: Maps compare Cretaceous Alabama to modern voting trends
A map comparison by one Reddit user shows an unexpected connection between how Alabama voted in 2016 and what the state looked like millions of years ago.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 9 May 2019.
- Magnitude 7.2 quake hits eastern Papua New Guinea, no injuries reported
A magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck in the east of Papua New Guinea early on Tuesday local time, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Reuters. Monday, 6 May 2019.
- Geology study finds massive volcanic blast
An Edinburgh scientist warns not enough is known about predicting major volcanic eruptions.
BBC News. Friday, 3 May 2019.
- Quick reconnaissance after 2018 Anchorage quake reveals signs of ground failure
A day after the Nov. 30, 2018, magnitude 7 earthquake in Anchorage, Alaska, US Geological Survey scientists had taken to the skies. ...
Science Daily. Friday, 26 Apr 2019.
- Man 67, one of FOUR tourists who have died at the Grand Canyon within the past MONTH is identified
Michael Obritsch, 67, plummeted over the canyon's rim April 3 when he lost his footing to the east of the Yavapai Geology Museum. His body has fallen more than 400 feet.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019.
- Earthquake of 6.3 magnitude strikes central Philippines
A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck the central Philippines on Monday, the U.S Geological Survey (USGS) said, and a Reuters witness said office buildings swayed in the main business district of the capital, Manila.
CNBC. Monday, 22 Apr 2019.
- Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Hawaii; no risk of tsunami
The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 5.3 earthquake hit the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii
ABC News. Sunday, 14 Apr 2019.
- Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits near southwest Alaska island
The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 4.7 earthquake hit an area near an island in southwest Alaska
ABC News. Sunday, 7 Apr 2019.
- 4.5-magnitude quake strikes Greek island; no damage reported
Greek geological experts say an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.5 has hit the western island of Zakynthos, but no damage has been reported.
Fox News. Sunday, 17 Mar 2019.
- Trilobites: What Makes a Waterfall? Maybe It Forms Itself
An experiment with a river built in a lab suggests that geological histories around the world may need to be rewritten.
New York Times. Thursday, 14 Mar 2019.
- Nature up close: A Grand Canyon geology lesson
Trekking through the natural wonder is a walk through two billion years of geological history
CBS News. Monday, 11 Mar 2019.
Interesting geological formations
Related Directory Page(s)
Geological Engineers News Headlines and News Summaries