This Geological news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about geological and geology news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Kilauea, one of the world's most active volcanoes, begins erupting after 3-month pause
Survey officials say a glow was detected in webcam images from the summit caldera early Wednesday.
ABC News. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- Earthquake: 2.6 quake registered in Long Beach
A magnitude 2.6 earthquake was reported Wednesday evening at 7:15 p.m. in Long Beach, according to the U.S. Geological
Los Angeles Times. Thursday, 1 Jun 2023.
- New York City is slowly sinking, researchers say
While the process is slow, parts of the city will eventually be under water, said lead researcher Tom Parsons of the U.S. Geological
CBS News. Monday, 29 May 2023.
- Minor earthquake shakes residents near New York City
A 2.2 magnitude impacted the New York metro area around 1:50 a.m., according to the United States Geological
ABC News. Friday, 19 May 2023.
- Why Indiana Limestone Is One of America's Most Prized Building Materials
From the 19th century to today, a geological
trove offers a strong foundation for the nation's cities
Smithsonian. Wednesday, 17 May 2023.
- Here's why people will always weigh LESS in parts of Canada than anywhere else in the world
Thanks to a unique geological
formation carved by glaciers over 20,000 years ago, you would weigh about 1/25,000 less your average weight up here
Daily Mail. Monday, 15 May 2023.
- Magnitude 3.5 earthquake felt near Calexico
The quake occurred Saturday morning one mile from Calexico, Calif., according to the U.S. Geological
Los Angeles Times. Saturday, 6 May 2023.
- Strong earthquake rocks Pakistan and Afghanistan
The U.S. geological
survey recorded a 6.5 magnitude temblor in the far northeast of Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border.
CBS News. Tuesday, 21 Mar 2023.
- Scientists Find Evidence Of Recent Volcanic Activity On Venus
'I saw two images...exhibiting telltale geological
changes caused by an eruption'
Daily Caller. Friday, 17 Mar 2023.
- Turkey-Syria border region hit by 6.4 magnitude earthquake
A 6.4 magnitude earthquake has struck the Turkey-Syria border two weeks after a massive quake in the region left nearly 45,000 people dead, the US Geological
Survey has said.
Sky News. Monday, 20 Feb 2023.
- Shocking video shows the moments a massive cliff collapses onto beach in San Dieg
Stunning video captured the moment a massive section of a cliff broke off and fell onto a San Diego beach. According to a geology
professor, the collapse is the biggest cliff failure in 40 years
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 24 Jan 2023.
- Arizona dam sees highest water level in 5 years, relieving farmers: report
The Coolidge Dam in eastern Arizona has reported recorded its highest water level in five years and, per the U.S. Geological
Survey, the highest December total ever.
Fox News. Thursday, 29 Dec 2022.
- 'Safe for one million years': Inside the world's first nuclear waste tomb
The world's first geological
tomb for nuclear waste is rapidly taking shape more than 400 metres below the forests of Finland.
Sky News. Monday, 17 Oct 2022.
- How an oil fracking boom to bust startup plans to thrive in the climate change era
The fracking boom was the money maker in Microseismic's early days, but the science and geological
uses have evolved in surprising ways.
CNBC. Tuesday, 27 Sep 2022.
- Devastating Ice Age Floods That Occurred in the Pacific Northwest Fascinate Scientists
The Scablands were formed by tremendous and rapid change, and may have something to teach us about geological
processes on Mars
Smithsonian. Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022.
Geological Engineers News Headlines and News Summaries