This Geological news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about geological and geology news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Preliminary 6.7-magnitude earthquake strikes off coast of Philippines, USGS says
A preliminary 6.7-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of the Philippines on Friday, according to the U.S. Geological
ABC News. Friday, 23 Jul 2021.
- Utah's Great Salt Lake dips to record low, Lake Mead also in crisis amid drought
Utah Rivers Council reported at the end of June that United States Geological
Survey data showed the Great Salt Lake had dropped to a level of more than 4,191.2 feet.
Fox News. Thursday, 15 Jul 2021.
- Gas on Venus may actually be produced by volcanoes, study says
Phosphine gas in Venus' upper atmosphere was announced in September 2020, but according to scientists at Cornell University in New York state, it's a geological
Daily Mail. Monday, 12 Jul 2021.
- Boulders roll onto highway following 6.0 California-Nevada earthquake, aftershocks expected for days
A magnitude 6.0 earthquake along the California-Nevada border south of Lake Tahoe sent boulders cascading onto a freeway and has been followed by dozens of aftershocks, according to the U.S. Geological
Fox News. Friday, 9 Jul 2021.
- Multiple earthquakes including magnitude 6.0 earthquake felt across northern California and Nevada
The US Geological
Survey recorded a magnitude 6.0 earthquake about 3:50 p.m. local time that happened about 20 miles from Smith Valley, Nevada.
Daily Mail. Friday, 9 Jul 2021.
- Why Geology Is Our Destiny
A visit to the renovated hall of gems and minerals at the American Museum of Natural History reveals how the cosmos works in the real world.
New York Times. Thursday, 24 Jun 2021.
- Earth Has A 27.5-Million-Year Cycle Of Catastrophic Events And Geologists Are Not Sure Why
Analysis of 260 million years of major geological
events finds recurring clusters 27.5 million years apart.
Forbes. Wednesday, 23 Jun 2021.
- Signs of geological activity found on Venus
Scientists find evidence parts of Venus's rocky surface move around like bits of ocean pack ice.
BBC News. Tuesday, 22 Jun 2021.
- Indiana earthquake 2021: 3.8-magnitude tremor hits near Bloomingdale | Tremors felt in Chicago area
Did you feel it? A 3.8-magnitude earthquake shook parts of Indiana and Illinois Thursday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological
ABC News. Thursday, 17 Jun 2021.
- Venus: Nasa announces two new missions
The two missions will examine the planet's atmosphere and geological
BBC News. Thursday, 3 Jun 2021.
- Millions of homes at risk of subsidence from climate change by 2070
Millions of homes are at risk of subsidence in the next fifty years as a result of climate change, the British Geological
Survey (BGS) has warned.
Sky News. Wednesday, 19 May 2021.
- China's Zhurong Rover Lands on Mars
The achievement cements China as a major player in modern space exploration and could soon deliver discoveries about Mars' geology
Smithsonian. Monday, 17 May 2021.
- 2 Los Angeles Earthquakes Wake Up Region
The United States Geological
Survey said two quakes with preliminary magnitudes of 3.3 and 4.0 were felt about 30 minutes apart.
New York Times. Monday, 5 Apr 2021.
- Meet the Soil Scientists Using Dirt to Make Stunning Paints
Professors in California and Wyoming use the unique palettes to teach geology
Smithsonian. Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021.
- Leighton Buzzard hit by third earthquake in two weeks
Leighton Buzzard has been hit by a 3.0 magnitude earthquake - the third tremor in two weeks - according to the British Geological
Sky News. Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020.
Geological Engineers News Headlines and News Summaries