This Geological news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about geological and geology news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Physicists get closer to examining the symmetries underlying our universe
Every field has its underlying principles. For economics it's the rational actor; biology has the theory of evolution; modern geology
rests on the bedrock of plate tectonics.
Science Daily. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano erupts following earthquake
The Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island has erupted, the U.S. Geological
ABC News. Monday, 21 Dec 2020.
- Geology: Hot rock rising beneath central Greenland is melting the ice from below
Researchers from Japan mapped out the extent and branches of the so-called 'Greenland plume' - the rising flow of molten rock ascending beneath the island.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 8 Dec 2020.
- New geological findings from eastern Fennoscandia add new dimensions to the history of European ice
In Finland, the majority of the glacial and warm interval records have been interpreted to represent only the last, Weichselian, glacial cycle that took place 11,700-119,000 years ago. ...
Science Daily. Monday, 7 Dec 2020.
- Earthquake: Magnitude 5.5 quake reported near Carson City, Nev.
A magnitude 5.5 earthquake was reported at 1:13 a.m. Friday 111 miles from Carson City, Nev., according to the U.S. Geological
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 13 Nov 2020.
- Earthquake Rattles Parts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island
The quake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 3.6, was also felt in the Long Island Sound, the United States Geological
New York Times. Monday, 9 Nov 2020.
- New England was hit by strongest earthquake in the region for decades
At 9am on Sunday, the area was hit by a 3.6 magnitude earthquake that was centered in Buzzards Bay, off the coast of New Bedford, Massachusetts, according to the US Geological
Survey's National Earthquake (USGS) information centre. ...
Yahoo. Sunday, 8 Nov 2020.
- 'Storm Tracker' Maps Shows How Hurricanes Spread Invasive Species
The U.S. Geological
Survey launched the program in 2018 after hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate scrambled coastal ecosystems
Smithsonian. Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020.
- 3.2-magnitude quake rattles area on Kansas-Oklahoma line
PONCA CITY, Okla. (AP) - A magnitude 3.2 earthquake shook an area on the Kansas-Oklahoma line Thursday night, the U.S. Geological
Survey reported. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 22 Oct 2020.
- Saturn's mysterious moon has new ice and scientists aren't sure why
Enceladus, Saturn's mysterious moon that could support life, may be more geologically active than previously thought, according to a new study.
Fox News. Wednesday, 23 Sep 2020.
- Leighton Buzzard hit by third earthquake in two weeks
Leighton Buzzard has been hit by a 3.0 magnitude earthquake - the third tremor in two weeks - according to the British Geological
Sky News. Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020.
- Southern California is rocked by a 4.5 magnitude earthquake
The quake hit 10 miles west of L.A. at 11.39 pm local time on Friday, according to the US Geological
Daily Mail. Saturday, 19 Sep 2020.
- Earthquake strikes New Jersey, shaking reported across state
A magnitude 3.1 earthquake struck in East Freehold, New Jersey, early Wednesday morning, the U.S. Geological
Fox News. Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020.
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake rocks coast of Indonesia
A large earthquake struck Wednesday off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra, the U.S. Geological
ABC News. Wednesday, 19 Aug 2020.
- 'Recently active' volcanoes discovered on Venus
Scientists have identified 37 recently active volcanic structure on Venus, suggesting the planet is still geologically active.
Sky News. Tuesday, 21 Jul 2020.
Geological Engineers News Headlines and News Summaries