This Funeral news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about funerals from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Covid: Side-by-side in a London mosque - funerals and a food bank
Worship has been suspended as burials average 15-a-day, yet still there is denial about the disease.
BBC News. Friday, 22 Jan 2021.
- Funeral mass held for Archbishop of Glasgow Philip Tartaglia
Archbishop Philip Tartaglia died at his home last week while self-isolating following a positive Covid test.
BBC News. Thursday, 21 Jan 2021.
- Pub landlady, 53, dies of Covid as she lies in hospital bed planning funeral for husband, 62
Gail, 53, and John Evill, 62, landlords at The Conway Inn in Aberdare, were admitted to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil just before Christmas after developing severe breathing problems.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 19 Jan 2021.
- Coronavirus surge increases strain on funeral homes: 'Our morgues are too full'
The COVID-19 Pandemic continues to take its toll. A Los Angeles funeral
home is turning away dozens of families a day, meanwhile, a Texas funeral
home is up 300 percent in the last six months.
Fox News. Tuesday, 19 Jan 2021.
- Funeral home staff overwhelmed by waves of COVID-19 deaths
As the U.S. death toll nears 400,000, many funeral
homes are straining to keep up with demand for their services.
CBS News. Monday, 18 Jan 2021.
- COVID-19 deaths create work overload for funeral homes
directors say they've been inundated with extra work, forcing their staff to work longer hours than usual. The rise in demand has been particularly tough on family-owned funeral
homes in small or rural communities.
CBS News. Friday, 15 Jan 2021.
- Direct cremations made up a quarter of all funerals during early pandemic
A 'direct cremation' takes place without a funeral
service, and ashes are returned to a family afterwards, allowing them to organise a personal memorial for a loved one at a time of their choosing.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 14 Jan 2021.
- Mortuaries in Southern California overwhelmed by COVID-19
When somebody dies in LA County, family members are left calling around trying to find a funeral
home that has space and most do not have any.
ABC News. Monday, 11 Jan 2021.
- Carry On and EastEnders star Dame Barbara Windsor laid to rest
Dame Barbara Windsor's funeral
has taken place, with a small number of family and friends in attendance due to coronavirus restrictions.
Sky News. Friday, 8 Jan 2021.
- 9-year-old girl holds bake sale to fund funeral for dad who died in car accident
"The pandemic won't stop us from caring about other people." One couple spent $1,000 on two cookies to show their support.
ABC News. Friday, 8 Jan 2021.
- Service Corporation (SCI) Gains on High Pandemic-Led Funerals
Service Corporation's (SCI) revenues have been gaining on higher funerals
performed owing to the coronavirus pandemic. However, elevated COVID-19 costs are concerning.
Zacks. Friday, 8 Jan 2021.
- 'I'm kicking myself': Sturgeon apologises for breaching coronavirus rules
Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has apologised after she was pictured breaching coronavirus rules by taking off her face mask at a funeral
Sky News. Wednesday, 23 Dec 2020.
- The 16 facial expressions most common to emotional situations worldwide
Whether at a birthday party in Brazil, a funeral
in Kenya or protests in Hong Kong, humans all use variations of the same facial expressions in similar social contexts, according to a new study. ...
Science Daily. Wednesday, 16 Dec 2020.
- NYC City Hall failed to stop massive Satmar funeral
The city has said it will investigate the funeral.
Fox News. Saturday, 12 Dec 2020.
- For a border funeral home that survived the cartels, the coronavirus crisis is worse
Time-honored traditions of mourning along the Texas-Mexico border are upended by the pandemic.
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 11 Dec 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries