This Fishing news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about fishing news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Scottish tests of 'whale-friendly' fishing creels
The trails of "ropeless creels" are being carried out to reduce deaths of endangered species in North America.
BBC News. Thursday, 16 Jan 2020.
- Maine to let new people into lucrative baby eel fishing biz
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - The state of Maine is allowing nine people to participate in the fishing
industry that harvests baby eels, which are among the most valuable natural resources in the state. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 16 Jan 2020.
- Fishing Hooks Pose a Long-Term Threat to Tiger Sharks
A new study found that 38 percent of tiger sharks observed off the coast of Tahiti had at least one hook stuck in their body
Smithsonian. Wednesday, 15 Jan 2020.
- The advantage of changing sex in fish population recovery
Some fish species recover at different rates when fishing
is eliminated inside MPAs. A new study explores how sex-changing fish species can actually recover faster than fixed-sex species.
Science Daily. Monday, 13 Jan 2020.
- Sea turtle swims again with help of prosthetic flipper
Goody the turtle was immobile after she lost her limb while trapped in a fishing
net, but now she's Thailand's first recipient of a prosthetic flipper.
CBS News. Monday, 13 Jan 2020.
- Plan your next trip to the Great White North at the 37th annual All-Canada Show
The 37th annual All-Canada Show returns to Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, featuring Canada's best fishing
and hunting destinations.
ABC News. Sunday, 12 Jan 2020.
- Mystery Underwater Device Lost By U.S. Navy
A Croatian fishing
vessel netted more than it bargained for when it pulled a strange orange box out of the Adriatic recently. The owner soon called: the U.S. Navy. Here's what we can tell about its provenance and likely purpose.
Forbes. Sunday, 12 Jan 2020.
- The deadly 'ghost gear' which haunts seas and coastlines
Tonnes of fishing
equipment are lost or abandoned every year, posing a risk to wildlife at sea and on shore.
BBC News. Sunday, 12 Jan 2020.
- 3 missing after vessel collision in Black Sea near Istanbul
ISTANBUL (AP) - A Russian-flagged tanker and a Turkish fishing
boat collided in the Black Sea near Istanbul early Friday, sinking the fishing
Washington Times. Friday, 10 Jan 2020.
- Large 'herbivores of the sea' help keep coral reefs healthy
can disrupt the delicate balance maintained between corals and algae in embattled Caribbean coral reefs.
Science Daily. Thursday, 9 Jan 2020.
- Alaska fishing boat sinks; 5 crew members feared dead
Authorities have called off the search for those working in one of the most dangerous industries in the U.S.
CBS News. Thursday, 2 Jan 2020.
- French fishing boats rescues 19 migrants including two children in English Channel bound for UK
The small vessel, which was designed to hold a maximum of 10 people, was intercepted by a French fishing
boat in the English Channel on Sunday night.
Daily Mail. Monday, 30 Dec 2019.
- Heart-stopping moment fisherman leaps from a jetty to save a drowning koala which fell from a pole
Cousins Danny Schelfhout and Ryan Farrow were fishing
at Apollo Bay in Southern Victoria when they noticed a koala run along the jetty and fall off a pole into the ocean.
Daily Mail. Monday, 30 Dec 2019.
- Russia Frees 24 Japanese Fishermen Seized Near Disputed Islands
boats and their crews detained last week for allegedly exceeding octopus catch quota near island group seized by then-Soviet forces in 1945, but still claimed by Japan.
Voice of America. Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019.
- Jim Edmonds goes 'off the grid' amid Meghan King Edmonds divorce, enjoys fishing excursion with daughter
Jim Edmonds appeared to be enjoying an excursion out to sea with his daughter amid his divorce from Meghan King Edmonds.
Fox News. Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019.
Fishing News Headlines and News Summaries