This Excavation news page includes headlines, articles, and citations about excavation and excavating news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- The dig uncovering Glencoe's dark secrets
Archaeologists begin excavating the remains of an abandoned settlement where a massacre took place.
BBC News. Friday, 10 May 2019.
- Missing piece of Stonehenge returned 60 years after it was removed during excavation
A missing piece of Stonehenge has been returned 60 years after it went missing during an archaeological excavation.
Fox News. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- Bronze age burial uncovered at Orkney sub station site
Archaeologists discovered the 3,500-year-old cist while excavating a site on Orkney ahead of planned construction work.
BBC News. Wednesday, 8 May 2019.
- Better labor practices could improve archaeological output
Archaeological excavation has, historically, operated in a very hierarchical structure, according to archaeologist. The history of the enterprise is deeply entangled with Western colonial and imperial pursuits, she says. ...
Science Daily. Monday, 22 Apr 2019.
- Ancient human skeletons found during water pipe work
Dozens of human skeletons from around 3,000 years ago have been found during water pipe excavation work in Oxfordshire.
Sky News. Monday, 15 Apr 2019.
- Biblical clay seal with the name of King Josiah's aide discovered in Jerusalem
Nathan-Melech, a high-ranking official in the court of King of Judah, is named in the inscription of one of the tiny clay seals found at excavation in Jerusalem.
Daily Mail. Monday, 1 Apr 2019.
- Sanitary Sewer Overflow in Garland Impacts Spring Creek
Crews in Garland are monitoring Spring Creek, after an excavation-related sewer overflow. Photo Credit: NBC 5 News.
NBC. Wednesday, 20 Mar 2019.
- Mass grave containing 1,000 executed Jewish men, women and children is uncovered at WWII ghetto
A mass grave of 1,000 suspected Jewish victims of the Holocaust has been uncovered during excavations for a residential development in Brest in Belarus, close to the Polish border.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 21 Feb 2019.
- Quarrying of Stonehenge 'bluestones' dated to 3000 BC
Excavations at two quarries in Wales, known to be the source of the Stonehenge 'bluestones', provide new evidence of megalith quarrying 5,000 years ago.
Science Daily. Tuesday, 19 Feb 2019.
- Remains of explorer who first rounded Australia found
The remains of a noted Royal Navy explorer who led the first known circumnavigation of Australia have been found by archaeologists excavating a burial ground where a railway station is planned.
CBC News. Friday, 25 Jan 2019.
- Archaeologists shed new light on Biblical site linked to the Ark of the Covenant
Excavations in Israel are shedding new light on the history of a Biblical site linked to the Ark of the Covenant.
Fox News. Tuesday, 18 Dec 2018.
- Leda and the Swan: A Fresco Comes to Life in Pompeii Excavation
An expensive excavation campaign to shore up an at-risk area of the city is a constant font of archaeological discoveries.
New York Times. Sunday, 25 Nov 2018.
- Excavation Hints at Opulent Lifestyle Enjoyed by Inhabitants of Ancient Greek City
This is the first time that residential remains have been discovered at Tenea, once thought to have been founded by Trojan prisoners
Smithsonian. Thursday, 15 Nov 2018.
- 10,000 Years of British History to Be Unearthed in Excavations in Advance of Planned Rail Line
Initial finds include hunter-gatherer site on outskirts of London, Wars of the Roses battlefield, Industrial Revolution burial guard
Smithsonian. Wednesday, 7 Nov 2018.
- Skeletons unearthed in giant UK train line excavation
Tucked beside one of London's busiest railway stations, a small army of archaeologists dig through clay as they clear a burial site of 40,000 bodies to make way for a new train line. ...
Yahoo. Thursday, 1 Nov 2018.
Equipment used to excavate a hillside
Related Directory Page(s)
Excavation Contractors News Headlines and News Summaries