This Excavation news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about excavation and excavating news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Rare 5,000-year-old crystal dagger is uncovered in Prehistoric Iberian megalithic tomb in Spain
A 5,000-year-old dagger made of rock crystals was uncovered during an excavation
of a massive tomb in Spain. Experts says it took empirical knowledge and skill to make such a weapon.
Daily Mail. Friday, 22 Jan 2021.
- The true story of the Suton Hoo treasure ship
A film has been made about the excavation
of an Anglo-Saxon burial ship in Sutton Hoo, Suffolk, in 1939. But the true story of the world renowned archeological find is just as fascinating as fiction.
Daily Mail. Saturday, 2 Jan 2021.
- Excavation of Pompeii fast-food eatery reveals tastes of ancient city
A fast-food eatery discovered at Pompeii is now completely excavated, helping to reveal the favorite dishes of citizens of the ancient Roman city destroyed by the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 A.D.
ABC News. Monday, 28 Dec 2020.
- Evidence for a massive paleo-tsunami at ancient Tel Dor
Underwater excavation, borehole drilling, and modelling suggests a massive paleo-tsunami struck near the ancient settlement of Tel Dor between 9,910 to 9,290 years ago, according to a new study.
Science Daily. Wednesday, 23 Dec 2020.
- Norway excavates a Viking longship fit for a king
A rare excavation
south of Oslo will provide new details about Viking culture.
BBC News. Friday, 4 Dec 2020.
- Pompeii excavation unearths well-preserved bodies of two men
Archaeologists have discovered the bodies of two men who died during so-called second pyroclastic flow, after the initial eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
CBS News. Saturday, 21 Nov 2020.
- Researchers Excavating Norwegian Viking Ship Burial Find Remnants of Elite Society
Archaeologists discovered traces of a feast hall, farmhouse, temple and 13 additional burial mounds
Smithsonian. Thursday, 12 Nov 2020.
- Treasure hunter caught digging in Yellowstone cemetery is indicted by federal grand jury
A Utah man has been formally indicted on charges of unlawfully excavating
and damaging the Fort Yellowstone Cemetery in Wyoming between Oct. 2019 and May 2020.
Fox News. Friday, 23 Oct 2020.
- Mass Grave Unearthed in Tulsa During Search for Massacre Victims
found 11 coffins in Oaklawn Cemetery, but painstaking work will be required to identify whether the remains are from Black victims of the 1921 race massacre.
New York Times. Thursday, 22 Oct 2020.
- Remnants of Woodland Iroquois Village Discovered in Ontario
Excavations have unearthed 35,000 artifacts, including carbonized corn, ceramics and stone tools
Smithsonian. Wednesday, 21 Oct 2020.
- 13 coffins, closed for 2,500-years, discovered in Egypt
Some 13 2,500-year-old human coffins have been discovered during an excavation
Fox News. Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020.
- Woodstock man, 33, dies after arm gets stuck in Volo excavation company machinery
A 33-year-old Woodstock man died Friday afternoon after his arm got stuck in heavy machinery.
ABC News. Saturday, 8 Aug 2020.
Excavation Contractors News Headlines and News Summaries