This Disability news page includes headlines, articles, and citations about disability and disabilities news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Stylists with learning disabilities making customers in smile
The trainee hairdressers making customers smile at a salon in Donaghadee, County Down.
BBC News. Sunday, 19 May 2019.
- Michigan Family Files A $10 Million Lawsuit After Police Officer Punched Teen With Cerebral Palsy
Michigan police officer pushed teen with cerebral palsy several times. This incidence says a lot about law enforcers' lack of disability-sensitivity training in this country.
Forbes. Thursday, 16 May 2019.
- Program to offer caregivers reimbursement for respite costs
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Virginia families who care for a loved one with disabilities or chronic conditions can apply for up to $400 in reimbursement for respite costs under a temporary voucher program. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 16 May 2019.
- Microsoft's AI For Accessibility Announces New Grantees: From Chatbots To Nerve-Sensing Wearables
Microsoft's AI for Accessibility program announced seven new grantees that are working to improve the lives of people with disabilities.
Forbes. Thursday, 16 May 2019.
- Self-Defense Teaching Students How To Be a Hard Target
Fort Worth hospital creates self-defense program for students enrolled in its school for children with intellectual disabilities. Photo Credit: NBC 5 News.
NBC. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- A prom of their own: Thames Valley holds first-ever prom for students with developmental disabilities
About 140 students across seven TVDSB schools and from the town of Exeter are expected to attend the event pegged DE prom.
CBC News. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- Coffee shop run by individuals with special needs
SURPRISE, Ariz. (FOX 10) - A Surprise woman is making her dream a reality by opening a coffee shop that will be run and operated by individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
Fox News. Monday, 13 May 2019.
- At Google I/O, Google is working to help traveling parents and people with disabilities - CNET
The experimental tent at the Google developer conference showcased future tech to solve very specific problems of the present.
CNET. Friday, 10 May 2019.
- Disability rights group alarmed by Portland e-scooter rules
A disability rights group in Oregon filed a letter of complaint with Portland over new rules about an electric scooter pilot program
ABC News. Friday, 10 May 2019.
- Google takes wraps off new accessibility projects at I/O - CNET
The tech giant is using AI and voice recognition technology to help people with disabilities live more independent and autonomous lives.
CNET. Tuesday, 7 May 2019.
- Collision-detecting suitcase, wayfinding app help blind people navigate airports
Researchers say a smart suitcase that warns blind users of impending collisions and a wayfinding smartphone app can help people with visual disabilities navigate airport terminals safely and independently.
Science Daily. Tuesday, 7 May 2019.
- How Handwriting Helps Kids with Learning Disabilities Read Better
As recently as a half-century ago, young American students would spend many lessons writing curved loops and diagonal lines, as they learned how to write in cursive. ...
Voice of America. Monday, 6 May 2019.
- Microsoft teams up with the VA to help wounded warriors
22 VA rehabilitation centers around the country will receive Xbox adaptive controllers specially designed for gamers with mental or physical disabilities.
Fox News. Friday, 3 May 2019.
- Woman contracts pneumonia during self-build project on Grand Designs
Garrie and Sue, 57, are determined to build their dream home in Bicester which will cater for Sue's disability. But during the build, she contracts pneumonia and is left 15-30 minutes from death.
Daily Mail. Friday, 3 May 2019.
- Unum long term disability claims show better outcomes for back disorders
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - 10-year trend in disability data from the world's largest provider of disability insurance shows better outcomes for back disorders.
Business Wire. Thursday, 2 May 2019.
Disability symbol on a reserved parking space
Related Directory Page(s)
News Headlines and News Summaries