This Disability news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about disability and disabilities news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Deaf UChicago student begs university to lift mask mandate so he can understand professors
A University of Chicago student with a hearing disability
is asking a college to lift its mask mandate.
Fox News. Saturday, 22 Jan 2022.
- Pastor, Wife Arrested After 8 People Found Locked In Basement
All eight people in the basement had mental or physical disabilities, or both
Daily Caller. Friday, 21 Jan 2022.
- Mindset Matters: What Businesses Seem To Miss About The Nature Of Accessibility
This column continues to look at the trend lines of the Disability
Economy with an emphasis on the broader impact on Accessibility and redefining its very definition across the business, social, and cultural landscape.
Forbes. Friday, 21 Jan 2022.
- Stop caging people with autism and learning disabilities, says Robert Buckland
Ex-minister Robert Buckland urges the government to end detention in hospitals for long periods.
BBC News. Thursday, 20 Jan 2022.
- Man says he swam to safety "after being washed away" by Tonga tsunami
Despite a disability, 57-year-old Lisala Folau says he spent more than a day swimming between Tonga's tiny, earthquake-devastated islands to get back to safety.
CBS News. Thursday, 20 Jan 2022.
- US Paralympic gold medalist says she's being excluded from competing in Beijing
Paralympic gold medalist Brenna Huckaby said the International Paralympic Committee won't let her compete because of her disability
Fox News. Thursday, 20 Jan 2022.
- Comcast (CMCSA)-Team Gleason to Develop Assistive Solutions
Comcast (CMCSA) announces its partnership with Team Gleason, with the aim to develop and distribute innovative assistive technology solutions for people with speech and physical disabilities
Zacks. Thursday, 20 Jan 2022.
- 'My autistic sister doesn't need a foster family'
Hundreds of Scots with learning disabilities
have to live far away from their families, a charity says.
BBC News. Tuesday, 18 Jan 2022.
- California freezes 345,000 'suspicious' disability insurance claims
The state Employment Development Department froze 27,000 medical provider accounts and 345,000 disability
insurance claims that the agency suspected of fraud.
Los Angeles Times. Monday, 17 Jan 2022.
- Gold medalist snowboarder slams Paralympic committee after her disability group was cut from Beijing
Brenna Huckaby, 25, earned two gold medals in 2018 and she was training to defend them. But the Paralympics axed her events because of too few participants in her disability
Daily Mail. Monday, 17 Jan 2022.
- Amtrak Pays $2 Million to Passengers With Disabilities Who Faced Obstacles at Stations
Under a settlement agreement, the railroad will also overhaul 135 train stations to make them accessible to all.
New York Times. Thursday, 13 Jan 2022.
- Mindset Matters: New Year, New Outlook On Mental Health And The Disability Economy As Central For Corporate Growth
This column explores more deeply the protean nature of the Disability
Economy as a central link towards dealing with issues around corporate well-being which will be critical for business growth in the years ahead.
Forbes. Friday, 7 Jan 2022.
- GPs offered teenage patients with learning disabilities 'do not resuscitate' orders
Many upset parents believe their child has been 'discriminated against' and were only offered the DNR order because of their learning disability
Daily Mail. Monday, 27 Dec 2021.
- Anne Emerman, Champion of Disability Rights in New York City, Dead at 84
Insisting that buildings be wheelchair accessible, she never backed down, not even to Mother Teresa. She also founded a musical group called Disabled in Action.
New York Times. Wednesday, 22 Dec 2021.
- Holiday card drive spreads joy to adults with special needs at Lutheran Social Services
About 1,000 holiday cards were handed out over the weekend to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities
at the Shady Oaks campus of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois.
ABC News. Monday, 20 Dec 2021.
News Headlines and News Summaries