This Department Store news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about department stores from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Slavery probe as two Romanian men found living in 'filthy' abandoned Sussex department store
Police are investigating a potential modern slavery ring after discovering two Romanian men living in squalor inside an abandoned TJ Hughes department store
in Eastbourne on Thursday.
Daily Mail. Saturday, 16 Jan 2021.
- 6,000 Amazon warehouse workers will hold union vote in Alabama on Feb. 8
Roughly 6,000 employees at the Alabama warehouse will begin voting on Feb. 8 to join the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store
CNBC. Saturday, 16 Jan 2021.
- JD Sports in talks about Authentic bid for Topshop
The American owner of Barneys, the famous New York department store, is in talks with JD Sports Fashion about joining forces in a swoop on Topshop, the jewel in Sir Philip Green's former retail empire.
Sky News. Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021.
- John Lewis suspends click-and-collect as shopping rules tighten
John Lewis has suspended click-and-collect services at its department stores
in the latest tightening of rules for shoppers as the coronavirus crisis intensifies.
Sky News. Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021.
- Macy's is shuttering 45 more locations this year, as part of its 3-year store closure plan
Macy's has notified the employees at about 45 of its department stores
that they will close by the middle of this year, CNBC has learned.
CNBC. Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021.
- Macy's Water Tower location closing on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, department store says
The department store
giant is closing its location on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. It's been there for almost 50 years.
ABC News. Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021.
- Macy's will close almost 50 stores this year
"Rightsizing our store fleet," the department store
says amid sales declines as shoppers migrate to online purchases.
CBS News. Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021.
- In Memoriam - A Look At 6 Department Stores That Closed Their Doors In 2020
A brief look at six department stores
that closed their doors in 2020 helps describe and define the challenges of brick-and-mortar retail during a year dictated by internet shopping growth and a worldwide pandemic.
Forbes. Sunday, 27 Dec 2020.
- Covid tests offered to John Lewis and Waitrose staff
Department store chain John Lewis is offering free Covid tests to up to 16,000 workers a week.
BBC News. Friday, 18 Dec 2020.
- The Latest: Denmark begins shutting down nationwide
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Denmark is shutting down nationwide, with shopping malls and department stores
ordered to close as of Wednesday and small shops - except for food stores and pharmacies - told to shut as of Dec. 25. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 17 Dec 2020.
- Santa Monica's historic Sears store has been remade as office space, but who's renting?
The $50-million makeover was intended to show how to reuse obsolete department stores
in urban areas. Its owners predict it will turn out that way, but their timing has run into the pandemic's headwinds.
Los Angeles Times. Sunday, 6 Dec 2020.
- Hundreds of young people try to enter Harrods in chaotic scenes as police make four arrests
A huge crowd of hundred of young people gathered outside luxury department store
Harrods in Knightsbridge, London today. Chaotic scenes ensued as the large group attempted to enter.
Daily Mail. Sunday, 6 Dec 2020.
- Mastercard SpendingPulse: November holiday sales up 5.1%
NEW YORK (AP) - Retail sales rose 5.1% in November, as spending on home furnishings and consumer electronics helped offset a drop in sales of clothing and at department stores, a widely watched industry gauge shows. ...
Washington Times. Thursday, 3 Dec 2020.
- Debenhams: Over 200 years of history
The ailing department store
chain is set to close, marking its final chapter after nearly 250 years.
BBC News. Wednesday, 2 Dec 2020.
- This Mexican Sports Shoe Company Is 30 Years Old, But It Learned to Evolve in 2020
Throughout these years, the Leonese brand Court has positioned itself in different stores, both its own and department stores
with great competitiveness.
Entrepreneur. Monday, 30 Nov 2020.
Department Stores News Headlines and News Summaries