This Department Store news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about department stores from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- JC Penney is closing 6 stores this year. Here's where they are
J.C. Penney is set to close six of its department stores
in 2020, a spokeswoman confirmed to CNBC.
CNBC. Wednesday, 22 Jan 2020.
- Beales Enters Administration - Is The Department Store Model Dead?
Beales Department Stores
are the third UK department store
chain to go into administration this year. Can the department store
model survive the modern retail enviroment?
Forbes. Tuesday, 21 Jan 2020.
- Department store Beales falls into administration
British department store
retailer Beales has become the latest to fall into administration, putting more than 1,000 jobs at risk if a buyer or new investment can't be found.
Just Style. Tuesday, 21 Jan 2020.
- Department store Beales collapses into administration
The collapse of the company, founded in 1881, puts more than 1,000 jobs at risk.
BBC News. Monday, 20 Jan 2020.
- Should Secondhand Clothing Be Sold In Department Stores?
While there is great demand for secondhand clothes, I feel they should not be sold in department stores
that promote new, trendy fashions.
Forbes. Friday, 17 Jan 2020.
- Hudson's Bay Co names Nairn as president
Canadian department store
retailer Hudson's Bay has appointed Iain Nairn, former CEO of Australian retailer David Jones, as its new president.
Just Style. Tuesday, 14 Jan 2020.
- Beales boss: 'Councils really don't care'
The boss of struggling department store
chain Beales says councils are failing to support the High Street.
BBC News. Monday, 13 Jan 2020.
- Harrords to display art in their windows for the first time with paintings of Marilyn Monroe
The pop art portraits on display at the London department store
have been created by British-American artist Russell Young, 60, known for his silkscreen paintings covered in diamond dust.
Daily Mail. Friday, 10 Jan 2020.
- Indexes Hit New Highs, Department Store Worries & A New Top Stock - Free Lunch
Why all three major U.S. indexes surged to new highs Thursday. A look at the global economic outlook for 2020, department store
worries, and more. And why Sanderson Farms, Inc. (SAFM) is a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) stock right ...
Zacks. Thursday, 9 Jan 2020.
- JC Penney says holiday same-store sales fell 7.5%, reaffirms outlook for the year
J.C. Penney piled on to U.S. department store
chains' holiday sales declines, saying its same-store sales over a nine-week period that ended on Jan. 4 dropped 7.5%.
CNBC. Thursday, 9 Jan 2020.
- John Lewis Home Solutions - how does it compare to rivals?
The department store
launched the service in 2017 and it is now available in locations across the South East including Hampshire, Surrey, Kent and East and West Sussex.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019.
- Historic hardware store in northwest Louisiana shuttering
LOGANSPORT, La. (AP) - A 122-year hardware and department store
that once saw a visit from Bonnie and Clyde is closing in northwest Louisiana. N.J. ...
Washington Times. Saturday, 30 Nov 2019.
- Macy's Q3 Earnings Preview: Is the Department Store's Decline Set to Continue?
Macy's and other department stores
have not been able to find success or inspire much Wall Street confidence. Can it turn things around in Q3?
Zacks. Friday, 15 Nov 2019.
- 'Vis-O-Matic' Was the 1950s Version of Online Shopping
A Canadian department store
tried to revolutionize buying when it opened a shop with booths and screens for ordering merchandise
Smithsonian. Thursday, 20 Jun 2019.
- Debenhams sale fails to secure bids 'at level required'
The consortium of banks which owns Debenhams has failed in its bid to sell the struggling department store
Sky News. Thursday, 9 May 2019.
Department Stores News Headlines and News Summaries