This Department Store news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about department stores from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Another 1,300 jobs at risk in UK retail sector as John Lewis shuts eight stores
British department store
chain John Lewis said on Thursday it would close eight stores, putting around 1,300 jobs at risk in another blow to the UK retail sector after the coronavirus pandemic accelerated a shift to online shopping.
CNBC. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- 5,300 jobs go at Boots and John Lewis as pandemic takes toll on retailers
High street chain Boots and department store
chain John Lewis are cutting a total of more than 5,000 jobs - blamed on the impact of COVID-19.
Sky News. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- John Lewis permanently shutting eight shops putting 1,300 jobs at risk
The ailing department store
chain will permanently close its large stores in Birmingham and Watford, as well as smaller outlets at Heathrow airport, St Pancras train station in London.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Ben Folds Puts His Live-Work Sanctuary in Hudson on the Market
The indie-rock musician and his wife renovated the three-story former department store
in upstate New York from top to bottom.
New York Times. Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020.
- John Lewis will close stores and axe staff as Harrods announces 700 jobs losses
The bad news at two of the UK's best loved department stores
came amid disaster on high streets up and down the country as TM Lewin, Bensons for Beds and Upper Crust.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020.
- Topshop owner and Harrods cut 1,200 jobs on grim day for retailers
Luxury department store
Harrods will axe 672 jobs, following similar cuts by Sir Philip Green's Arcadia Group and the owner of Upper Crust and Caffe Ritazza.
Sky News. Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020.
- Man, 18, charged for 'unprovoked' assault of Macy's manager in viral video
Damire Palmer, of Mount Morris Township, Michigan, faces one count of felony assault with intent to do great bodily harm for the attack inside the department store.
Fox News. Saturday, 27 Jun 2020.
- Joel Schumacher, director of 'St. Elmo's Fire' and Batman films, dies at 80
Joel Schumacher, the journeyman director who dressed New York department store
windows before shepherding the Brat Pack to the big screen in "St. ...
ABC News. Monday, 22 Jun 2020.
- How a Raise for Workers Can Be a Win for Everybody
Higher pay for employees has improved service and productivity in department stores
and nursing homes. These findings have direct implications for the current pandemic, an economist says.
New York Times. Thursday, 18 Jun 2020.
- JC Penney kicks off liquidation sales at 136 stores this week
Bankrup J.C. Penney has kicked off liquidation sales at 136 locations across the country, the department store
chain announced Wednesday morning.
CNBC. Wednesday, 17 Jun 2020.
- Which major retail companies have filed for bankruptcy since the coronavirus pandemic hit? Here's the list.
From iconic department stores
to entertainment giants, the coronavirus has seemingly spared no one in its devastation of the U.S. economy.
Yahoo. Monday, 15 Jun 2020.
- Macy's says reopened stores performing better than expected
Macy's Inc said on Tuesday its 450 reopened stores were performing better than expected, giving some respite for the department store
chain that reported nearly $1 billion in quarterly operating losses due to COVID-19 lockdowns.
Reuters. Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020.
- Macy's raises $4.5 billion to shore up funds as stores reopen, shares surge
Macy's Inc said on Monday it raised a total of $4.5 billion, including $3.15 billion in new borrowings against its real estate assets, as the department store
chain tries to navigate through the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Reuters. Monday, 8 Jun 2020.
- Coronavirus: Jarrold store prepares to reopen after 12 weeks in lockdown
Jarrold has a department store
in the centre of Norwich and celebrates 250 years of trade this year.
BBC News. Saturday, 6 Jun 2020.
- Nordstrom closes stores amid protests: 'Windows and merchandise can be replaced'
The department store
announced its plans in a letter to customers Monday.
Yahoo. Wednesday, 3 Jun 2020.
Department Stores News Headlines and News Summaries