This Department Store news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about department stores from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Department store John Lewis set to cut prices in online push
The department store
will launch a homeware range and introduce 'more affordable' budget ranges to counter the perception that it is expensive.
Daily Mail. Saturday, 17 Oct 2020.
- These 2 retailers will have terrible holiday seasons, market strategist predicts
And here comes the holiday season pain for department stores, argues one long-time retail analyst.
Yahoo. Friday, 16 Oct 2020.
- Tycoon who bought BHS told backer he couldn't pay him as he was in a 'complicated situation'
Dominic Chappell, 53, blames Sir Philip Green for the collapse of the department store
chain. He maintains he would have been able to pay his taxes 'had BHS not failed', jurors heard.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 15 Oct 2020.
- India's richest man emerges as surprise suitor for ailing Debenhams
Mukesh Ambani, India's richest man and the powerhouse behind one of the country's largest conglomerates, has emerged as a shock contender to take control of Debenhams, the struggling department store
Sky News. Wednesday, 23 Sep 2020.
- Discount retailer Century 21 files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is closing all of its 13 stores
The discount department store
chain Century 21 has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and is closing all of its remaining 13 stores, it announced Thursday.
CNBC. Thursday, 10 Sep 2020.
- Mall owners Simon, Brookfield set to rescue JC Penney from bankruptcy in $800 million deal
Bankrupt department store
chain J.C. Penney is expected to be rescued by its landlords, mall owners Simon and Brookfield.
CNBC. Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020.
- JC Penney: Landlords plot rescue for department store
The deal for the 118-year-old company could save more than 70,000 jobs.
BBC News. Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020.
- Debenhams gives bidders 5pm deadline for offers
Advisers to Debenhams have asked prospective bidders to table offers for the business on Tuesday as they seek to salvage a future for the 242 year-old department store
Sky News. Tuesday, 1 Sep 2020.
- In Colorado town, the post office delivers much more than the mail
Leadville, Colo., has no car dealership, no Walmart, no department store
and no dependable internet service. The post office fills important gaps.
Los Angeles Times. Sunday, 30 Aug 2020.
- One in four BHS stores remain vacant four years after collapse
Department store chain closed its last stores in 2016 but finding new uses is a lengthy process.
BBC News. Saturday, 29 Aug 2020.
- Lord & Taylor closes its doors, ending a nearly 200-year-old legacy
The iconic department store
will permanently close all of its remaining locations and shut down its website.
CBS News. Friday, 28 Aug 2020.
- Debenhams - From Destination Designer To Delivering Dismay
In a news feature this morning, Sky News reported that Hilco Capital has been appointed to work with Debenhams if a sale is not agreed for the department store.
Forbes. Saturday, 15 Aug 2020.
- Amazon reportedly looking to take over Sears, JCPenney stores as mall fulfillment centers
The online delivery giant thinks it can get your order to you faster. It would mean replacing struggling department stores
and moving into malls.
ABC News. Tuesday, 11 Aug 2020.
- The Retail Resurgence Has Stalled For Department Stores As Covid-19 Rages
New store traffic numbers show that the return of shoppers to department stores
that began with spring reopenings has stopped -- and in some cases is starting to reverse.
Forbes. Monday, 10 Aug 2020.
- Report: Amazon Wants to Turn Closed Department Stores Into Fulfillment Centers
Amazon is in talks to turn closed J.C. Penney and Sears shops into distribution hubs.
Entrepreneur. Monday, 10 Aug 2020.
Department Stores News Headlines and News Summaries