This Department Store news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about department stores from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Selfridges gains licence to host weddings at Oxford Street store for 20 guests
The luxury department store
will be able to host ceremonies for a limited time at its London Oxford Street store, with three packages available for couples looking for a 'non-traditional ceremony'.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 11 May 2021.
- Selfridges: Eight arrested after man stabbed inside Oxford Street store
Footage shows a man wielding a knife in front of shoppers inside the famous department store.
BBC News. Sunday, 9 May 2021.
- The John Lewis 'nightmare' is a dream for many of us
There are slurs, and then there's the ignominy suffered by one of Britain's most popular department stores
following Carrie Symonds's arrival in Downing Street and her description of the decor.
Daily Mail. Friday, 7 May 2021.
- End of an era for Debenhams as final shops set to close
The department store
will disappear from high streets on 15 May after more than two centuries.
BBC News. Wednesday, 5 May 2021.
- May Day: Department Store Survivors And Casualties After A Year Of Covid
Battered and bruised by internet shopping and increased competition, many department stores
were well-compromised before Covid crippled the industry.
Forbes. Friday, 30 Apr 2021.
- Department stores are getting the blues
The first three months of 2017 have seen a record number of store closings, and the trend's not likely to reverse anytime soon. Here's what's behind the retail apocalypse.
CBS News. Friday, 30 Apr 2021.
- Latest on Sweden truck attack
In Sweden authorities have identified the man arrested Friday as the suspected driver of the stolen truck that killed four people and injured 15 others outside a department store
in Stockholm. ...
CBS News. Thursday, 29 Apr 2021.
- Department stores like Nordstrom and Macy's are still Americans' favorite place to buy shoes
In a new AlixPartners survey, consumers were asked were they've been buying shoes during the pandemic, and overwhelmingly the answer was department stores.
CNBC. Thursday, 22 Apr 2021.
- Department store Fenwick picks ex-Lovefilm boss as chair
Fenwick, the family-owned department store
chain, has picked a former boss of the DVD rental service Lovefilm to help steer it through the sweeping changes affecting Britain's retail sector.
Sky News. Wednesday, 21 Apr 2021.
- Sales in self-service and department stores grew 6.5% in March, its best result in a year according to ANTAD
These establishments accumulate sales of 328.6 billion pesos in the first quarter of 2021, according to data from the National Association of Self-service and Department Stores
Entrepreneur. Tuesday, 13 Apr 2021.
- Burglars break into Nordstrom on Chicago's Mag Mile; 1 charged
A Nordstrom department store
on the Mag Mile was broken into early Monday morning, Chicago police said.
ABC News. Monday, 12 Apr 2021.
- Amazon Faces Similar Organizing Efforts That Department Stores Battled 8 Decades Ago
Amazon needs to prove its longterm profitability, keep its investors patient, avoid negative publicity and resolve its labor issues. Traditional department stores
had shelf lives; the same can be true for e-commerce pioneers.
Forbes. Sunday, 11 Apr 2021.
- JC Penney's interim CEO sees green shoots emerging as department store chain plots post-bankruptcy turnaround
Just a few months into serving as interim CEO of J.C. Penney, Stanley Shashoua said he sees signs of growth in the business.
CNBC. Friday, 26 Mar 2021.
- Organizing Gravediggers, Cereal Makers and, Maybe, Amazon Employees
The Retail, Wholesale and Department Store
Union may be one of the most eclectic labor unions in the U.S. And it is on the cusp of pushing into the e-commerce behemoth.
New York Times. Thursday, 25 Mar 2021.
- Department store closures illustrate hurricane blowing through retail sector
There are at least three key messages that come from the store closures detailed by the John Lewis Partnership today.
Sky News. Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021.
Department Stores News Headlines and News Summaries