This Bookstore news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about bookstore and book store news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- The New Season: Fall fiction titles
Washington Post book reviewer Ron Charles previews a few of the most hotly-anticipated novels and short story collections coming to bookstores this fall
CBS News. Sunday, 27 Sep 2020.
- West Town's Semicolon bookstore thought COVID-19 would close it forever until Instagram followers stepped in
"It would behoove anyone to spend more money at small businesses when it going directly back into the community."
ABC News. Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020.
- Brentwood's Diesel bookstore launches a GoFundMe as more stores struggle through pandemic
Beloved L.A. bookstores like Diesel are turning to fundraising platforms to survive the financial blows dealt by COVID-19.
Los Angeles Times. Monday, 14 Sep 2020.
- Sci-fi superstore is a dream for comic book lovers
Welcome to Third Planet, the oldest privately-owned comic book store
in Texas. It's a sci-fi paradise!
ABC News. Friday, 28 Aug 2020.
- Bookstores To Celebrate Independent Bookstore Day With Mix Of Virtual And In-Person Events
This Saturday, August 29, over 600 bookstores across the United States will celebrate Independent Bookstore
Day with a mix of virtual and in-person events as well as discounts and exclusive merchandise. ...
Forbes. Friday, 28 Aug 2020.
- Iconic Portland bookstore Powell's says it won't sell directly on Amazon anymore: 'We must take a stand'
Selling through the Amazon marketplace was "hard to give up, sort of like smoking," said Powell's CEO Emily Powell. ...
CNBC. Thursday, 27 Aug 2020.
- Author James Patterson sends out financial aid to independent bookstores
This week, best-selling author James Patterson sent out his first round of financial aid to help struggling independent booksellers. ...
CBS News. Monday, 17 Aug 2020.
- New Bookstores Are Still Opening During COVID-19 Pandemic
While the COVID-19 pandemic has brought numerous changes to how booksellers operate, and the financial impact has caused some bookstores to close, others have opened bookstores across the United States, or are raising funds to do so.
Forbes. Friday, 31 Jul 2020.
- Customers come back to Miami's oldest comic book store
MIAMI (AP) - In May, the future seemed bleak for A&M Comics and Books, the oldest comic book store
in Florida. No new comics had been published since March 25 - the first such stoppage of the industry since World War II. ...
Washington Times. Saturday, 25 Jul 2020.
- As London Bookstores Reopen, Eager Readers Return
Charming neighborhood shops and slick chain outlets welcomed back customers, who snatched up titles as eclectic as the city itself.
New York Times. Wednesday, 17 Jun 2020.
- Browsing Through the History of School Book Fairs
The temporary school bookstores stuffed with metal shelves full of paperbacks and sticker books often felt like a kid's only chance to score a deal on 'Encyclopedia Brown' mysteries.
Mental Floss. Wednesday, 17 Jun 2020.
- Bookstores Are Struggling. Is a New E-Commerce Site the Answer?
The rapid rise of Bookshop.org during the shutdown has been hailed as a boon for independent stores. But some booksellers worry it could become another competitor for online business.
New York Times. Tuesday, 16 Jun 2020.
- Historic Oakland black book store sells out of books on racial discrimination
Marcus Books in Oakland, California, has served the black community in the Bay Area with books by and about African Americans for the past 60 years.
Reuters. Sunday, 7 Jun 2020.
- Outdoor seating only: Parisian cafes eke out space along sidewalks
The Cafe de Flore in Paris, once a favourite drinking hole of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre, spread its tables along the pavement, in front of the neighbouring book store, and reopened on Tuesday for the first time in 11 weeks.
Reuters. Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020.
- Germany is latest country to re-open shops after coronavirus lockdown
Small shops including garden centres, bookstores and car and bicycle dealers are allowed to re-open in Germany from today.
Daily Mail. Monday, 20 Apr 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries