This Bankruptcy news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about bankruptcy and bankrupt news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- 'No pay, we stay': Kentucky miners block $1m coal shipment
More than 300 miners were sacked after their employer, two-year-old company, Blackjewel, declared bankruptcy
and shut down its operations on July 1.
Daily Mail. Friday, 23 Aug 2019.
- Westlake Hospital employees attend federal hearing on bankruptcy
Dozens of Westlake Hospital employees came to the Dirksen Federal Building to get the latest on the bankruptcy
filed by its owners.
ABC News. Tuesday, 20 Aug 2019.
- The American consumer is strong, but it takes more than that to be a successful retailer today
Amid the headlines of stores closures and retail bankruptcies, it can be tough to accept that the U.S. consumer is doing just fine.
CNBC. Monday, 19 Aug 2019.
- The Latest: Jury to decide PG&E role in wine country fire
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The Latest on rulings issued by the judge presiding over PG&E's bankruptcy
case (all times local): 5:15 p.m. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 16 Aug 2019.
- The 4 States With the Highest Bankruptcy Rates
Bankruptcies in the U.S. are one the rise and could soar to 800,000 this year, 24/7 Wall St. reported. That is a 3% rise in just a year, and the four states with the highest rates all fall within the South.
Newsmax. Tuesday, 13 Aug 2019.
- Talalay Global files for Chapter 11
Latex Foam International, doing business as Talalay Global, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection for the second time in six years, citing disruption from lower-end mattresses. ...
Furniture Today. Monday, 12 Aug 2019.
- More U.S. store closings seen with China tariffs
Retailers are slashing jobs tied to bankruptcy
at the highest level in a decade -- now come 10% taxes on China goods
CBS News. Monday, 12 Aug 2019.
- Embattled Melrose Park hospital remains open despite threats to close
It remains unclear how long Westlake Hospital will remain in operation after the Melrose Park facility filed for bankruptcy
and threatened to close this week.
ABC News. Saturday, 10 Aug 2019.
- Kentucky's Cambrian Coal files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
PIKEVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Another Kentucky coal producer has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection. The Lexington Herald-Leader reports Cambrian Coal LLC plans to auction off most of its assets next month, if it gains court approval. ...
Washington Times. Friday, 9 Aug 2019.
- Barneys' bankruptcy called out high New York rents. But retailers are paying far below 2014 levels
Retail rents in New York corridors including Fifth Avenue around Grand Central, SoHo and the Upper East Side are nowhere near what they once were in 2014. Even Madison Avenue hasn't been immune to the trend.
CNBC. Thursday, 8 Aug 2019.
- Water Bankruptcy Looms for One in Four People Worldwide, Researchers Warn
The world's water supplies are threatened by many factors, from climate change to mismanagement in the form of water waste and pollution.
Voice of America. Wednesday, 7 Aug 2019.
- Days after swearing in, Puerto Rico's new governor faces legal challenge
Puerto Rico's newly installed governor and its Senate president faced off on Tuesday in written arguments submitted to the island's supreme court, which will decide who is in charge of the bankrupt
CBC News. Tuesday, 6 Aug 2019.
- Luxury retailer Barneys New York declares bankruptcy
High-end retailer is another victim of shifting retail trends, as well as high rents in tony neighborhoods
CBS News. Tuesday, 6 Aug 2019.
- Troubled suburban Chicago hospital files for bankruptcy
Westlake Hospital in Melrose Park, Ill., has consistently been 80% empty in recent months and has been losing almost $3 million a month, its owner says.
Modern Healthcare. Tuesday, 6 Aug 2019.
- Barneys New York store chain files for bankruptcy
The US luxury department store chain also puts itself up for sale after being hit by a steep rent rise.
BBC News. Tuesday, 6 Aug 2019.
Bankruptcy Services News Headlines and News Summaries