This Athlete news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about athlete and athletic news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Seifert: DeSean Jackson's anti-Semitic posts are a critical teaching moment -- for everyone
As athletes drive further into public advocacy, the Eagles wide receiver has shown that the path forward isn't as obvious as it might have seemed.
ESPN. Sunday, 12 Jul 2020.
- Big Ten going to conference-only slate this fall
Big Ten athletic
directors and presidents have decided on moving to a conference-only model for all fall sports, including football.
ESPN. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- USC athletes receive encouraging coronavirus test results, but an unease remains
USC has seen only four positive cases out of 201 tests in three rounds, but the Pac-12 is pushing back mandatory workouts and athletes are cautious.
Los Angeles Times. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- A Lot of Athletes Seem to Have the Coronavirus. Here Are Some Reasons.
The rate of positive test results released by a few leagues seems higher than that of the general population. But there are explanations for that.
New York Times. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- Is It Too Soon To Restart Sports?
Athletes and fans alike are itching to get back on the field and into the stadium. But so far, attempts to keep sports teams social distancing and safe are falling short.
Forbes. Friday, 10 Jul 2020.
- Inspiration Games offers a 'strange' experience for world-class athletes
The Inspiration Games give Allyson Felix, Tianna Bartoletta and others a chance to compete against other Olympic stars amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Los Angeles Times. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- The Chase star Shaun Wallace slams 'reprehensible' stop-and-search of athlete Bianca Williams
Barrister Shaun Wallace says police twice mistook him for a robbery suspect on separate occasions in Liverpool and Kingston. The Chase star said 'conscious bias' was evident in the police.
Daily Mail. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Six Feet? Try Seven Separate Tracks
Call it extreme social distancing. Track and field athletes will compete in eight disciplines at seven different tracks in Europe and the United States.
New York Times. Thursday, 9 Jul 2020.
- Ivy League suspends fall sports due to coronavirus pandemic
"We simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic
competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk," the Ivy League Council of Presidents said.
CBS News. Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020.
- Stanford cuts 11 varsity teams as the athletic department faces a $70million budget shortfall
Stanford has announced the elimination of 11 teams as its athletic
department seeks to reduce financial losses amid the coronavirus pandemic as the Ivy League postpones fall sports.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020.
- Stanford drops 11 sports to cut costs during pandemic
Stanford University is making cuts to its athletics department.
Fox News. Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020.
- The U.S. has granted more than 1,000 travel ban exemptions to pro athletes
The exemptions come as the U.S. clamps down on other travel to the country. The administration this week announced new rules for international students that may force many of them to leave the country.
CNBC. Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020.
- Black, disabled and female: 'It's a hard place to be'
GB Paralympians Kare Adenegan and Kadeena Cox discuss the struggles they face as black athletes.
BBC News. Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020.
- When can police stop and search you and what are your rights?
What is the controversial tactic which has led to a Team GB athlete
to consider legal action?
BBC News. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
- SKorean officials vow to look into triathlete's abuse claims
Top South Korean officials on Monday offered a public apology and vowed to delve into the death of a triathlete who had reported to government and sports bodies that she had been abused by her team coach, physical therapist and colleagues.
Fox News. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
Athletic Courts News Headlines and News Summaries