This Athlete news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about athlete and athletic news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- 91-year-old high school sports superfan hasn't missed a game in decades
"For some athletes, it's maybe the only person they have at the game."
CBS News. Thursday, 6 Oct 2022.
- Who might want to buy the Phoenix Suns?
NBA team could draw interest from a range of potential suitors, from tech billionaires to former pro athletes.
CBS News. Thursday, 6 Oct 2022.
- Florida's high schools share details of female athletes' menstrual cycles with a third party
The digitization of the data collection process via third parties in some schools has raised concerns that students' sensitive medical history will be shared in harmful ways, particularly for female students
Daily Mail. Thursday, 6 Oct 2022.
- How Brands And College Athletes Can Navigate Name, Image And Likeness Marketing
To help other brands get in on the value of college athletes, here are four ways athletes and brands can navigate the wild, wild west of NIL.
Forbes. Thursday, 6 Oct 2022.
- 'Rapist' California athletic coach 'targeted poor boys who didn't have food or rides to school'
An accuser known only as John Doe 7042 said Colton High School athletic
trainer, Tiffany Gordon, preyed on vulnerable students who were poor and in need of help.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 5 Oct 2022.
- Florida High Schools Asking Female Athletes 5 Questions About Their Menstrual Periods
And a third party may be handling the answers to these questions.
Forbes. Wednesday, 5 Oct 2022.
- Naomi Osaka releasing her first children's book
Titled "The Way Champs Play," the book is meant to inspire and encourage kids. Osaka joins Serena Williams and Steph Curry as athletes who have recently written children's books.
ESPN. Tuesday, 4 Oct 2022.
- Angels' Kurt Suzuki reminisces about his MLB debut with A's as retirement looms
Angels catcher Kurt Suzuki is playing the final games of his 16-year MLB career against the Oakland Athletics, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Los Angeles Times. Tuesday, 4 Oct 2022.
- 6 former Colton High School football players allege sexual abuse by ex-coach's daughter
The ex-players sue the Colton Joint Unified School District, alleging sexual abuse by athletic
trainer Tiffany Gordon, the daughter of late coach Harold Strauss.
Los Angeles Times. Monday, 3 Oct 2022.
- Georgia Tech upsets Pitt 6 days after firing coach
Quarterback Jeff Sims threw for one touchdown and ran for another as Georgia Tech, less than a week after seeing its coach and athletic
director fired, managed to upset No. 24 Pittsburgh 26-21.
ESPN. Sunday, 2 Oct 2022.
- NIL college sports: Athletic programs see surge in nonprofits paying players
The nonprofits are pitched as feel-good partnerships. But they also raise questions of whether their mission it to support charities or exist primarily to funnel money to athletes for a tax deduction.
ABC News. Friday, 30 Sep 2022.
- Vetoes of women's sports bills dog Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly's reelection bid
Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly vetoed bills barring male-born athletes from female sports not once but twice, a pair of decisions coming back to haunt the Democrat in her reelection bid as the transgender issue surges to the forefront.
Washington Times. Wednesday, 28 Sep 2022.
- Laura Muir & Eilish McColgan among nominees for Scottish Athletics awards
Commonwealth champions Laura Muir and Eilish McColgan and world champion Jake Wightman have been short-listed for Scottish Athlete
of the Year.
BBC News. Monday, 26 Sep 2022.
- Apple Watch Ultra is worth $799 for serious athletes, but an unnecessary splurge for the rest of us
The Apple Watch Ultra goes on sale Sept. 23. The Ultra is Apple's most expensive smartwatch at $799 and comes with features serious athletes will appreciate.
CNBC. Wednesday, 21 Sep 2022.
- Lilian Kasait Rengeruk: Kenyan runner gets 10-month doping ban for using hormone therapy drug
Lilian Kasait Rengeruk becomes the eighth Kenyan athlete
in three months to be banned for doping offences after admitting to using a prohibited substance.
BBC News. Wednesday, 21 Sep 2022.
Athletic Courts News Headlines and News Summaries