This Asian news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about Asian news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Xpeng Rises, Low Inflation Signals More Easing, Week In Review
equities were mostly higher overnight except for Thailand, India, and the Philippines. It was a quiet night on the news front.
Forbes. Friday, 9 Jun 2023.
- The Asian-American teen who could end affirmative action in Supreme Court case
An 18-year-old student who got a 1590 on his SAT and a 4.65 high school GPA but was rejected by six top schools may be the key to a lawsuit that would end affirmative action.
Daily Mail. Friday, 9 Jun 2023.
- China can't rely on Southeast Asian exports to offset a U.S. slowdown
China's exports to the U.S. and Southeast Asian
countries fell sharply in May.
CNBC. Friday, 9 Jun 2023.
- Singapore economic czar Tharman Shanmugaratnam to run for president
Singapore's veteran economic policymaker is resigning to contest the Southeast Asian
city-state's presidency, a largely symbolic head of state role.
CNBC. Thursday, 8 Jun 2023.
- Political Relationship Green Shoots Lift Markets
equities were mixed overnight on light volumes as Hong Kong and Taiwan outperformed while Japan underperformed.
Forbes. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- Former Kazakh President Nazarbaev's Office Being Canceled
The office of former Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev, known as the office of the First President of Kazakhstan, will cease to exist within the next 45 days, the Central Asian
nation's Finance Minister Erulan Zhamaubaev said on June 7.
Radio Liberty. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- Kazakh Opposition Politician Detained On Bribe-Taking Charge
Nurzhan Altaev, the leader of Kazakhstan's unregistered El Tiregi (People's Pillar) party has been detained on a charge of taking a bribe, the Central Asian
nation's Anti-Corruption Agency said on July 7.
Radio Liberty. Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023.
- Singapore to hold final horse race after more than 180 years
The Southeast Asian
island nation's only racecourse will hold its final meeting next year.
BBC News. Tuesday, 6 Jun 2023.
- From immigrant to highest ranking Asian American at HPD
Executive Assistant Chief: The defining moment that led Ban Tien to a life of service for his country and community
ABC News. Wednesday, 31 May 2023.
- Dad who called airport official 'Rochdale paedo' for trying to stop him smuggling cigarettes jailed
Michael Legros (pictured), 32 from Liverpool, who call an Asian
airport official a 'Rochdale paedo' after he tried to stop him smuggling a huge batch of cigarettes into the country has been jailed for three years.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 31 May 2023.
- Ming-Na Wen gets star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, calls for more Asian American inductees
Ming-Na Wen, known for "Joy Luck Club," "Mulan," and Marvel shows, gets a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame to join the small list of Asian
Los Angeles Times. Tuesday, 30 May 2023.
- Man formally arrested, says he opened emergency doors mid-flight because he felt suffocated
The man who opened an emergency exit door during an Asiana Airlines flight told investigators that he felt suffocated and tried to get off the plane quickly, according to police.
ABC News. Monday, 29 May 2023.
- Asian Americans reclaim birth names amid rising hate incidents
Americans have used more Western sounding names instead of their birth names. Now, amid rising incidents of hate, some are reclaiming their birth names. Shanelle Kaul shares their story.
CBS News. Monday, 29 May 2023.
- Asiana Airlines: Passenger arrested for opening plane door during South Korea flight
The man said he had opened the door because he was feeling suffocated and wanted to get off quickly.
BBC News. Saturday, 27 May 2023.
- Passenger Arrested on Suspicion of Forcing Open Plane Door Mid-Flight
A man was arrested on suspicion of unlocking an emergency exit on an Asiana Airlines flight in South Korea when it was about 700 feet off the ground.
New York Times. Friday, 26 May 2023.
Asian Restaurants News Headlines and News Summaries