This Aquarium news page includes news headlines, summaries, and article citations about aquariums from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Video: Beluga whale interacts with woman in Taiwan aquarium
Huang Chunchun visited the Pingung Sea Life Museum in southern Taiwan where she had a memorable encounter with the large beluga whale, which appeared to be trying to startle her.
Daily Mail. Friday, 7 May 2021.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium animals ready for their closeup with reopening set for May 15
Penguins and otters at Monterey Bay Aquarium
are said to have perked up since members began visiting recently. Reopening to the public is days away.
Los Angeles Times. Thursday, 6 May 2021.
- Otters at Georgia Aquarium test positive for coronavirus
The Asian small-clawed otters may have caught the virus from an asymptomatic staff member
Smithsonian. Thursday, 22 Apr 2021.
- Otters test positive for COVID-19, Georgia Aquarium says
The Georgia Aquarium
announced on Sunday that its Asian small-clawed otters tested positive for COVID-19.
Fox News. Monday, 19 Apr 2021.
- Shedd Aquarium volunteers clean up Montrose Beach for return of piping plovers
The birds are part of an endangered species, which surprised wildlife experts when they nested here in 2019.
ABC News. Sunday, 11 Apr 2021.
- Celebrity zookeeper Jack Hanna diagnosed with dementia, family says
The 74-year-old former Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
director is retiring from public life, as his condition has progressed faster than anticipated.
CBS News. Thursday, 8 Apr 2021.
- Jack Hanna diagnosed with dementia thought to be Alzheimer's, family says
Jack Hanna, Director Emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, has been diagnosed with dementia thought to be Alzheimer's, his family announced Wednesday.
ABC News. Wednesday, 7 Apr 2021.
- Cute octopus looks like something out of Pac-Man
This video from the Monterey Bay Aquarium
shows the bright red flapjack octopus, which looks more like a tiny elephant flapping its ears than something from the depths of the ocean
CBS News. Sunday, 4 Apr 2021.
- Chicago aquarium takes penguins to seafood restaurant, hopes to spread awareness of environmental campaign
A small group of penguins got to spend a night at a seafood restaurant in Chicago, and it was all done for a good cause.
Fox News. Wednesday, 31 Mar 2021.
- Officials Say Invasive Zebra Mussels Are Hiding in Aquarium Decor Sold Across U.S.
Pet stores in 21 states recall items after reports of the destructive bivalves lurking in moss balls
Smithsonian. Friday, 12 Mar 2021.
- Climate change is forcing great white sharks to move to cooler waters further north
Researchers from Monterey Bay Aquarium
tracking the movement of young Great White Sharks noticed dramatic changes in their movements from 2014 onwards.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021.
- Why did the penguins go to the cinema?
These birds from a Chicago aquarium
go on regular trips to unusual places. There's a good reason for it.
BBC News. Tuesday, 1 Dec 2020.
- New York Gov. Cuomo says museums, bowling alleys to reopen in NYC, and gyms may be next
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the state will allow museums, aquariums
and other cultural centers in New York City to reopen in the coming weeks.
CNBC. Friday, 14 Aug 2020.
- 'We can't furlough animals': Aquariums under threat
Many of the country's aquariums
could close for good unless they are given more government support, or allowed to reopen along with zoos.
Sky News. Saturday, 13 Jun 2020.
- An Aquarium in Japan Wants You to FaceTime With Its Shy Eels
With the aquarium
closed to the public, the eels have started to be uncharacteristically bashful around humans.
Mental Floss. Friday, 1 May 2020.
Aquariums News Headlines and News Summaries