This Addiction news page includes headlines, summaries, and article citations about addiction and addictive news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Significantly less addictive opioid may slow progression of osteoarthritis while easing pain
A new study reveals that kappa opioids, a significantly less addictive
opioid, may preserve cartilage in joints and ease pain.
Science Daily. Monday, 13 Jul 2020.
- Ex-Kasabian frontman issues apology for attacking girlfriend
Former Kasabian frontman Tom Meighan has apologised for attacking his girlfriend and said he has struggled with alcohol addiction
"for many years".
Sky News. Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020.
- New class of safer analgesics discovered
Researchers have discovered a new class of pipeline drugs to relieve pain and reduce fever without the danger of addiction
or damage to the liver or kidneys.
Science Daily. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
- Coronavirus crisis disrupts treatment for another epidemic: Addiction
Drug rehabs across the U.S. have experienced coronavirus flare-ups or COVID-19-related financial problems, forcing them to close or limit operations.
Los Angeles Times. Monday, 6 Jul 2020.
- Priest suspended for comparing Black Lives Matter to "maggots"
"They are maggots and parasites at best, feeding off the isolation of addiction
and broken families," Rev. Theodore Rothrock wrote.
CBS News. Thursday, 2 Jul 2020.
- A gambling suicide EVERY day: Shocking report finds 2m families blighted by problem gambling
Rebecca Jones, 30, (pictured) was left to bring up two children alone when husband Ben got three years in prison for stealing for fund his addiction
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020.
- 1947 French film predicts modern-day technology addiction
A 1947 French film predicts modern-day technology and how we behave with such devices. The clips shows people glued to screens in public and a crash that results from distracted driving.
Daily Mail. Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020.
- Glen Campbell's widow details their rocky marriage and his addiction issues in tell-all book
Campbell died on August 8, 2017, after a six-year battle with Alzheimer's.
Fox News. Wednesday, 24 Jun 2020.
- A Street Cat Named Bob: Stray who inspired series of books dies
James Bowen wrote six books about his pet Bob who he chanced upon while battling drug addiction
BBC News. Tuesday, 16 Jun 2020.
- WWE Backlash 2020 Results: Sheamus Beats Jeff Hardy As Drug Addiction Storyline Continues
Sheamus defeated Jeff Hardy in a grudge match at WWE Backlash 2020.
Forbes. Sunday, 14 Jun 2020.
- Coronavirus: Duchess makes virtual visit to addiction centre
Catherine spoke to recent residents who are receiving support online during the lockdown.
BBC News. Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020.
- Kate urges struggling addicts to seek help during COVID-19 lockdown
The Duchess of Cambridge has urged people struggling with addiction
to seek help, as new research revealed a quarter of UK adults are drinking more in lockdown.
Sky News. Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020.
- Chris Christie Registers To Be Lobbyist For Addiction Center Chain
Christie's firm landed a new client
Daily Caller. Monday, 8 Jun 2020.
- Wildlife groups up pressure on Big Pharma to curb crab blood addiction
Wildlife advocates are pushing drugmakers to curb their use of horseshoe crab blood by switching to a synthetic alternative for safety tests, including those needed before a COVID-19 vaccine can be used for humans.
Reuters. Monday, 1 Jun 2020.
- Inside Roy Halladay's struggle with pain, addiction
Exclusive interviews with Roy Halladay's family, friends, teammates and coaches reveal how the Hall of Fame pitcher's last years were gripped by physical and mental pain, and an addiction
to prescription drugs.
ESPN. Thursday, 28 May 2020.
News Headlines and News Summaries