This Geological news page includes headlines, articles, and citations about geological and geology news from diverse, English-language news sources around the world.
News articles are ordered by publication date, with the newest article listed first and the oldest article listed last.
- Magnitude 5.0 quake strikes near Anchorage, Alaska
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - A 5.0 magnitude earthquake struck near Anchorage, Alaska, on Sunday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey said, with tremors felt as far as 120 miles (193 km) southwest of the state's capital city.
Yahoo. Sunday, 13 Jan 2019.
- Earthquake of 6.4 magnitude strikes off south Japan
A 6.4 magnitude earthquake stuck off south Japan on Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
Reuters. Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019.
- Magnitude 5.8 quake rattles Indonesia's West Papua
A magnitude 5.8 earthquake rattled the eastern Indonesian province of West Papua on Friday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, causing nervous residents to panic about a week after a tsunami killed hundreds further west in the archipelago.
Reuters. Thursday, 27 Dec 2018.
- Tsunami Possibly Triggered By Krakatoa Just Struck Indonesia. Here's What You Need To Know
An underwater landslide related to Indonesia's Krakatoa volcano just produced a tsunami that has killed at least 20 people. Here's all you need to know about this developing story, including the geological forces behind it.
Forbes. Saturday, 22 Dec 2018.
- How the government shutdown impacts the weather industry
The shutdown forces several federal agencies to cease operations, including the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the National Weather Service, the U.S. Geological Survey and NASA.
Yahoo. Saturday, 22 Dec 2018.
- America's Oil And Gas Reserves Double With Massive New Permian Discovery
The United States Geological Survey just identified the world's largest unconventional oil and gas potential buried within the Permian basin, containing over 46 billion barrels of oil and 280 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.
Forbes. Friday, 21 Dec 2018.
- Italian scientist eyes plant growth at nuclear repository
CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) - The unique geology at the United States' only underground nuclear waste repository recently drew a researcher from across the Atlantic Ocean. ...
Washington Times. Saturday, 15 Dec 2018.
- Magnitude 4.4 earthquake jolts Tennessee; felt in Atlanta
The U.S. Geological Survey says an earthquake that struck eastern Tennessee could be felt as far away as Atlanta An earthquake that struck eastern Tennessee early Wednesday could be felt as far away as Atlanta, the U.S. ...
Voice of America. Wednesday, 12 Dec 2018.
- Magnitude 4.4 earthquake jolts Decatur, Tennessee, U.S. Geological Survey says; Quake felt in Atlanta, Georgia
The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 4.4 earthquake struck eastern Tennessee and could be felt in Atlanta.
ABC News. Wednesday, 12 Dec 2018.
- It Could Be the Age of the Chicken, Geologically
With 65 billion chickens consumed each year, the signature fossil of the modern epoch may be the leftovers.
New York Times. Wednesday, 12 Dec 2018.
- Energy firm Cuadrilla pauses fracking in Lancashire for the third time in two months
A series of 'micro-seismic events' in Blackpool were recorded on the British Geological Survey website following hydraulic fracturing at the shale gas exploration site at Preston New Road, Cuadrilla said.
Daily Mail. Tuesday, 11 Dec 2018.
- 'Blueberries' on Mars have a watery past. But scientists are still baffled.
It was just a few months after NASA's Opportunity rover touched down on Mars in 2004 that it spotted a geological curiosity: tiny, iron-rich spheres scattered across the rock surface near the robot's landing site.
Fox News. Friday, 7 Dec 2018.
- WATCH: What is the 'Ring of Fire'?
The horseshoe-shape geological disaster zone stretches 25,000 miles wide.
ABC News. Friday, 30 Nov 2018.
- Rare earth mineral discovery set to make Australia a major player in electric vehicle supply chain
Research at a Queensland university has discovered the geological secret behind a rare earth mineral, critical to building high-tech products essential for future industries.
Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Friday, 30 Nov 2018.
- Martian impossible! Nasa scientists brace for 'six and a half minutes of terror'
Tonight, if all goes well, Nasa's $1billion InSight probe will touch down on Mars in a mission US scientists hope will be the first to unlock geological secrets of the planet's hidden core.
Daily Mail. Monday, 26 Nov 2018.
Interesting geological formations
Related Directory Page(s)
Geological Engineers News Headlines and News Summaries